19

Russia awoke in a state of panic and confusion. He and America had fallen asleep hugging each other, but now the other half of the bed where America was sleeping was cold and empty. The Russian frowned. America hadn't been on the bed for a little while.

Russia sat up from his bed and looked around the room. He strained his eyes, using a small beam of light flowing through a crack in the curtains to aid his search for his boyfriend. The blanket they had slept under was on the floor, on the left side of the bed where the American had slept.

Russia looked away, but a small fluttering sigh made him turn around and inspect the blanket more carefully. He pulled the blanket off the ground and America tumbled out, still sleeping. America must've rolled off the bed in his sleep, Russia thought. He chuckled to himself. It seemed that he obviously needed more sleep, the lack of rest had blunted his senses.

Russia scooped America up carefully and placed him back on the bed before covering him with the blanket before leaving Poland and Germany's guest room and closing the door quietly behind him.

Germany and Poland were already up, the former having a breakfast of potato omelet and dark hot chocolate and the latter reading a book at the dining table while drinkng kvass. "Good morning," Russia greeted. "'Morning," They both greeted back. 

America, Canada, Russia and Ukraine had been staying at Poland and Germany's shared apartment for a few days now. Canada and Ukraine shared the couch as their bed at night, and drew the curtains seperating that area from the rest of the house when they were sleeping, to provide some level of privacy.

"I've gotta go, I'm meeting Singapore and Hong Kong at the library for our project." Germany announced as he finished his breakfast and washed the plate and cup he used. Then, before he left, he turned to Russia. "Do you need me to get y'all anything?"

Russia glanced at the contents of the bags in the fridge. "Some cereal, instant noodles and vegetables, I guess. Fruits, too." Russia passed the German a wad of Russian roubles. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, Russia." Germany said, hugging Poland. "See you later, Polen."

"See you, Niemcy," Poland replied before going back to his book. 

When the rest of the boys had woken up, they ate breakfast together. America ate the slowest, chewing his cereal thoughtfully. "What are you thinking about, 'Meri?" Canada asked. America never ate that slow. At home, he was the one who always finished his meals the fastest.

"Don't you find it weird?" America said. "Find what weird, exactly?" Canada asked. "Even if Mom and Dad trusted us to return home safely ourselves, don't you think they would've attempted to contact us by now? It's been two weeks." America bit his lip.

"Ame... what are you implying?" Russia joined in, confused. Ukraine leaned a bit closer, curious. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Canada said.

"Yeah. We need to go back home to check on our family." America said, shooting Poland a meaningful look. Poland nodded. "I understand how important family is, but Germany has the car now. We have to wait for him to return in about two or three hours. Okay?"

The pair of twins agreed, and they both waited restlessly for Germany to open the door, jumping up everytime they heard someone walking in the hallway. When they finally heard a click in the lock of the apartment's door, they ran towards the door. "Germany," America said anxiously, "We need you to drive us to our house."

"We need to check on our family," Canada explained, "Could you please drive us there as soon as possible?"

"Okay..." Germany, carrying some grocery bags, glanced bemusedly at Poland, who shrugged. "They haven't heard from their family in two weeks, they're nervous." Russia informed Germany quietly. 

"I see," Germany said, quickly putting the groceries in the fridge. "Let's go, I'll drive the lot of you there now."

In the car, America and Canada sat the nearest to the doors, and was met with no objections or arguments. When Germany's car pulled up in their family's driveway, the pair of twins felt that something was off. The rose bushes that their mother had always tended so carefully were wilting and unpruned. 

They got out of the car and entered the house. There was a thin layer of dust covering everything. "They've been gone for a while..." Ukraine murmured, studying the dust. "The car is gone too, maybe they went for a road trip." America suggested hopefully.

"I don't think Aussie would've left his pet spider and snake at home if that's so." Canada refuted, feeding the starving creatures with labelled bottles sitting on their younger brother's desk. "Check their closets anyway."

They split, checking the rooms. "The closets are full, they didn't take any clothes with them when they last left the house," Russia reported, returning from France and Britain's shared bedroom with Ukraine. "Same here with us," Poland and Germany said, who checked New Zealand's room.

"I don't see any signs of struggle, and the door is locked, which means they left the house willingly. Let's check the cameras." America stated, and they left to have a look at the camera footage on a computer in his parent's bedroom.

"Look at the date they last left the house," Germany frowned as America replayed the footage. "It was about a week ago." The footage showed the family leaving the house, presumably to get groceries and bring the children for their swimming lessons, judging by the day displayed at the bottom of the screen.

"Do you think-" America started.

"It can't be, no way." Canada shook his head.

"There's a chance. He might have done it. He's mad, Nada, he could've done it." America shot back. "We don't know that." Canada argued feebly, not wanting to believe his younger brother.

"He came with his gun and started shooting us, isn't that proof enough?" America growled exasperatedly. "He has a point." Ukraine cut in. "He once starved me, creating a famine in my population."

"Yeah," Russia agreed. "I remember. I know it's hard for you to think this way, Canada, but we have to think about the worst case scenarios now."

"Listen, it may be too late to warn our family now, but let's try to save your siblings." America said, turning to the pair of Slavic siblings. "I have a few mutual friends that could probably help to shelter them when we get them out. We can look for our family at the same time too. Sound good?"

Edit: Spelling and grammar