Russia sat up the whole night, watching over America. If America had another nightmare again, Russia wanted to be able to comfort him.

Was Russia tired in the morning? Sure, but it was worth it in his opinion, if it meant that he could make sure America was alright. Besides, he wasn't lying when he said he didn't need much sleep.

Yawning, Russia stretched as he clambered out of the tent. "'Morning, Russia." Canada greeted him, handing over the assault rifle still in his hands. "See anything last night?" Russia inquired, inspecting the firearm and making sure the lever was at Safety before slinging the rifle over his back.

"No, nothing interesting. Only movements I detected were of nocturnal animals." Canada replied. 

Putting one hand onto the Kalashnikov's strap, Russia lifted his chin slightly in the direction outside of the small clearing they had made. "I'm gonna go walk around in there for a while."

"Okay," was Canada's response as Russia walked off, twirling his survival knife that he had unsheathed.

Russia walked silently, weaving in and out of the trees, which were closely packed together. He continued spinning and twirling his knife as he listened to the sounds of the forest surrounding him. His boots made a crunching noise as he stepped onto twigs and leaves, and he lightened his steps to reduce the noise.

Russia pondered over what had happened the night before. Who is "Fedi"? And why did he scare America so much?  Suddenly, a twig snapped behind him. It seemed to him, in the quietness of  before, as loud and clear as a gunshot.

Russia twirled around, putting his left foot forward and his right foot back, the knife gripped tightly with right hand in a fighting stance. A figure appeared from behind a tree, backing away and putting their hands up.

"Woah, it's just me. Nada said you were walking in the woods, so I came to look for you." Russia lowered his arms. It was just America. "Alone and unarmed? Are you out of your mind, Amerika?" Russia berated, sheathing his knife.

"Um, yeah," America said, smiling sheepishly, "but I do know a bit of martial arts."

"You've gotta be kidding me. Do you know how to disarm?" Russia asked, walking towards America. "Kind of, but my technique is a bit rusty," America admitted.

"Well, then don't count on that. If you're comfortable, who's 'Fedi'?" Russia questioned. America chewed on his bottom lip. 

"..."

"Only answer if you're comfortable," Russia emphasised. "I don't want to force you to do anything that you don't want to."

"No, it's just that it's a painful memory. It would be good to talk about it, though." America started, and took in a deep breath. 

"Fedi is um, the confederate states of America. When I was younger, my citizens had a civil war. This led to the creation of a personification of the other side. We had to fight each other because we couldn't exist together in harmony.

"We were both fighting for control of the government. Around 620,000 soldiers died in the struggle, and you can imagine that it was a pretty traumatic event. There's still corruption and hate among my citizens, those that would've fought for Fedi."

Russia rubbed his arm. A brief moment of uncomfortable silence passed between the both of them.  Russia cleared his throat and he returned, "Yeah, um, it would be a traumatic event to anyone. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"Thanks, I guess." America mumbled awkwardly, fiddling with the hem of his NATO T-shirt. "I have to tell you something..."

"What is it?" The Russian inquired, happy to have the chance of changing the topic. "Well," America hesitated, "There's no easy way of saying this. I, um..."

"Yes?" Russia waited, cocking an eyebrow.

"Uh, well, I... ugh, screw it... я люблю тебя." America concluded, exasperated with his hesitance.

Scarlet creeped up Russia's cheeks, and his face heated up. "You... you do know what... what that means... right?" he stuttered. Does that mean that he understood what I had said that day?

America attempted to grin, but his efforts were futile as he felt a strong urge to cover his face. The grin came out as a grimace and he coughed. "Yeah, I do. I understood what you said the other day."

Russia felt like he was going to lose his shit from all the anxiety building up in him, making him feel light-headed out of worry and anticipation. "So, um. What does it mean, then?"

"Sheesh, you're really gonna make me say it, huh?" America chuckled dryly. "Did you mean it when you said it?"

"Yes." Russia confirmed, not a grain of doubt in his mind.

The American rushed forward towards his taller counterpart, and stood on his tiptoes. His heart beat faster and faster as his face approached Russia's, and he knew that if he didn't do it now, he may never gain the courage to do it again. 

America kissed Russia softly on his lips. Russia's eyes widened in surprise and his skin took on a darker hue of red. His skin tingled warmly as he returned the kiss and put his arms around America's waist.

America hugged back, breaking away from the kiss they had shared and looked up into Russia's striking amber eyes, whose colourful brilliance he had just only realised.

The first words that passed between them after the kiss were from Russia. "My dad would've killed me on the spot if he saw us."

"Way to go to dampen the mood," America snorted, his voice filled with open adoration and some sarcasm. Russia laughed freely for the first time in a long while. "Amerrika, you arre velcome." Russia replied, his laughter making his heavy Slavic accent more prominent.

"Nice accent," America commented, inviting more bursts of laughter. Russia chortled, his breath turning into white mist from the cold morning air. America wheezed, clutching his stomach.

When he finally caught his breath, America dropped the big question. "So, are we a thing now? You know, because we've kissed each other and everything?"

"I mean, if you're okay with it, we definitely are."

--
I did it. I wrote a kissing and confession scene. Be proud.