22

They drove back to the small apartment to grab something to eat and get ready for their new mission. "Say that again, about the gates." Germany asked. "The gates. They're locked, but it can be opened from the inside by pressing a bunch of buttons." Russia stated. "So, I can fly over it?" Poland queried.

"Yes." Ukraine confirmed. "Yes, you will be able to." America thought silently for a moment. "If you fly over, you'll have to bring someone with you. Someone has to watch your back while you unlock the gates."

"I'm too big. We'll have to get someone who's light but agile and fast on their feet to protect both himself and Poland." Canada suggested and everyone turned their gazes on Ukraine, who shrugged. "Sure. I can go, if you want me to."

They were still discussing silently as Poland unlocked the door. Russia and Ukraine immediately sat themselves down at the dining table. Poland passed them a few sheets of paper and some stationery, which they snatched up instantly to draw a map of the compound.

The scratching noise of pencil on paper filled the air. America pulled up a chair to sit beside Russia, who was writing some notes in both English and Russian furiously on the side and circling some areas. Ukraine was adding more details like the amount of guards at each post.

The rest joined them around the table, watching intently as Russia and Ukraine explained the details to them. They went over the plan until each and every one of them could recite it perfectly. 

Poland brought out a paintbrush and a tube of red and yellow paint, passing it to Russia. Russia turned them over in his hands, staring at it hesitantly. "Well, go ahead." Germany nodded. "God, this is weird." Russia murmured as he squeezed out some red paint. "Do you have some white paint? I need to neutralise the red a little, it's too vibrant."

Germany handed him a tube of white paint. Russia got to work, mixing the red and white until it matched his skin colour, which was close to his father's. Then he applied the mixed paint on his face, covering up the blue and white stripes on his face. America helped smoothen out the paint, making it look as natural as possible.

They lapsed into an easy silence, waiting for the paint to dry. Russia was painting a hammer and sickle idly onto a black eye patch that Ukraine had put together while Russia was painting his face. When the paint was dry, he tied the eye patch over his right eye. He blinked a few times. "My perception of depth is reduced, it's gonna take a while for me to get used to this." Russia chuckled dryly.

The Russian shrugged on a trench coat and a pair of black gloves similar to the one his father wears, standing up tall and upright. "You're the spitting image of your father," America choked, resisting the temptation to hit his boyfriend over the head with a chair and demand the location of his family. Canada's grin looked strained, and he clenched his left hand tightly, his nails digging into his palm. Apparently, America's usually peaceful twin felt the same way too.

"Shall we go now?" Ukraine asked, fingering the hem of his shirt. "I think I'll lose my nerve if we continue waiting."

Russia strode out to the side of the compound's fence. "I need you at the other side gate. Both of you. I'll get some other people to watch this side for now." He barked at the two guards on the other side of the fence, deepening his voice and thickening his accent. The two men scurried away quickly without hesitating or questioning his orders.

Once they were out of sight, Poland gripped Ukraine tightly by his arm and got them over the high fence. As Poland punched some buttons to open the gate for the rest of them, Ukraine scanned their surroundings, gun at the ready, for any imminent dangers.

As soon as the gates opened, they sprinted into the building, dodging behind pillars and walls everytime a guard was spotted. "Let's go downstairs," Russia suggested. "The holding rooms are below."

They opted to take the stairs, dashing down at two or three steps a time. "This way," Ukraine called, and they took a left, running along a long stretch of surgically clean corridors. "This feels so sci-fi," Germany remarked as they peered into the windows of the rooms flanking them. 

"Why, because the vibes the halls give off?" Russia scoffed. "Exactly," Poland agreed as they skidded to a halt in front of a room near the end of the hall. Two scraggly looking small figures were huddled together in a corner

"Hey! Aussie? Kiwi?" America yelled, knocking on the glass. "Shh, you're gonna give away our location!" Ukraine hissed. Australia and New Zealand looked around the room, the former using his body to shield the latter from the door. "Can't they see us?" Canada questioned, bemused.

"They can't. It's one way glass." Russia said, smiling grimly before he executed a perfect kick to a spot just above the door knob. The door wobbled a bit, and Russia kicked it again until it finally gave way and swung open. "How did you..." America started. "Father didn't think it through when he chose these type of doors." Russia replied simply as they surged in.

"No, as in how did you kick it like that?" America gaped. "Russian ballet." Russia shrugged. Australia shrunk away when he saw Russia in the room. "Why is he here? Why are you guys with HIM?" He demanded, swinging his fist wildly at anyone who came close to him and his younger sister.

"Hey kid, it's alright," Russia whispered, his voice gentle as he took off the eyepatch. "It's just a disguise. We're gonna get you out of here. Where are your parents?" Australia glared suspiciously at Russia and the rest of the boys. "Who are all of them?"

"I'm Russia." Russia said, pulling off his ushanka and squatting down to face Australia. "The boy with the gun is my brother Ukraine. The boy with wings is Poland-"

"Can he fly?" New Zealand interrupted, peering out from behind her brother. "Yes, he can." Russia smiled. "The boy beside him is Germany. I suppose you know your own brothers. We're not here to harm you, we're gonna get you and your parents to a safer place, alright?"

"Alright." Australia said. "I don't know where our parents are, though."

"Well. Let's go find them, shall we?" Russia said, straightening up.