21

3K reads!! Thank you so, so much for your support!!

Poland jumped down from the tree and dusted his pants as Russia's siblings filed out. "'Ow've ye been doin'?" Scotland asked America as they watched the children climb into the van. "I've been good, or at least as good as life on the run can get." America replied, adjusting his grip on his borrowed weapon. "You look a lettle banged oehp (up), lassy," Ireland commented in his thick accent. "Are you sure you've been good?"

"Yeah, arrre you surrre?" Wales called from the front of the van. Wales was the youngest out of all of the uncles, only a couple of years older than America and Canada. Canada chuckled heartily. "We're alive, that says something, doesn't that?"

"I guess," England shrugged. "But please, be careful, loves." America grinned. "We will. Where's uncle North Ireland anyway?" Said country stuck his head out from the van. "I'm 'ere, wit' de keds (kids)."

America's grin grew bigger, his teeth flashing in the sunlight. "How're you doing?" he greeted. "I've been doin' great, danks!" his uncle hollered back. All of Russia's siblings, save Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan was in the van now. Belarus and Kazakhstan lingered outside, talking to the Russian and Ukranian.

"Take care, alright?" Belarus was saying. "I will," they assured, and Kazakhstan hugged both of them before climbing into the van behind Belarus. "We'll take good care of them," England promised. "You know wherrre to look vor us, rrright? You can always call us too." Wales told America, who nodded. "See you, kid." Wales pulled his nephew into a tight embrace.

Canada and America waved as their uncles pulled out of the driveway. "Well then, now that that's done, where shall we start searching?" Russia asked as the van took a turn and disappeared from their view.

"Here. Let's start searching here."

Poland resumed his post on the top of the tree, squatting on a branch strong enough to hold his weight and holding onto the tree trunk for balance, in case he needed to move quickly and swiftly. Germany had tossed the Pole a VP9 he kept in his car's glove compartment with an extra magazine earlier, for his defence. 

Poland caught it appreciatively. Germany was one of the few people who never doubted Poland's abilities despite seeing firsthand the trauma and pain that was inflicted on Poland in the past. Now, Germany was in the house with the others, inspecting every crack and gap. Poland turned his attention to the road. There were far more important things to do. 

In the house, Russia and Ukraine were instructing the group on places to look in. They had already checked the more obvious spots, like the attic and basement. They were now looking in the hidden spots that the two Slavic siblings had seen their father access in the past. 

When they had checked every square centimeter of the house, they left, feeling rather defeated. "Not here," America informed Poland glumly. Russia placed a hand on America's shoulder. "They may not be here, but we'll find them. Where to next?" 

"I don't know, where does he usually go?" America responded. Ukraine pursed his lips thoughtfully, thinking. "He mentions going to meet Third Reich a lot, even before all this. Perhaps we can try places linked to Third Reich?"

"Sure," America said. "I can drive you guys to my vater's house right now." Germany offered. They all got in, and Germany stepped on the gas pedal and drove quickly towards his old home. When they got there, Germany parked his car a distance away from the house and instructed them to stay inside before leaving and walking there. 

Germany walked up to the house and peered through the familiar windows he and his twin had spent hours sitting at, watching the outside world. A pang of longing and pain ran through him, paralysing him momentarily. God, I miss him. I wish he was still here, Germany thought, before pushing that thought away and concentrating on the task he set himself.

Germany left the windows and knocked on the door instead, waiting for an answer. When none came after a few minutes, he took a key from under the doormat and unlocked the door. He searched all the rooms for his father, who was apparently out at the moment. Without hesitating, he called the rest over to the empty house.

Only when they were running over did Germany notice the pictures held up with magnets on the refrigerator and framed on the shelves. Upon closer inspection, he realised it was pictures of himself when he was younger, pictures of him holding a trophy, a certificate at a spelling bee, him and his twin posing for a picture under an apple tree in the countryside...

Germany touched the picture, unbelieving. The photo frames were free of dust. His father had been cleaning them. For a moment, he felt touched, but his resolve hardened when he remembered that Poland wouldn't have gotten hurt and he wouldn't have been separated from East Germany if his father hadn't acted the way he did in WWII, and put his hand back by his side.

Just as Germany did so, the boys came bursting into the house. "Like I said earlier, cover up your tracks. We don't want them knowing we've been searching their houses." Germany advised, before Poland perched on a tree as lookout as usual.

They did a quick but thorough search of the house, which yielded no results except a few letters scattered on the desk, which narrowed the places to search down to Soviet Union's lab. "I hope you guys are ready for this." America sighed, rubbing his forehead. What he wouldn't give for a comfortable bed and for this to be a dream. 

But it wasn't a dream. America was going to have to infiltrate the heavily guarded building and avoid being caught if he wanted to rescue his family. He picked at his nails. A risk he was willing to take for his family.

A suffocating silence filled the car. It felt like everyone was holding their breath. At this moment, the silence was deafening. Canada grabbed America's hand and squeezed it, giving him an encouraging nod. He was the most affected between the two at their repeated failure to locate their family, and he opened his mouth to say something, but Poland beat him to it.

"I'm ready."

They chipped in, one by one, ready to do whatever it would take to straighten up their upended world so they could live in safety and comfort again.

"Ready."

"Let's do this."

"I'm prepared."

"Now or never."

America sat up straighter. "C'mon, let's go."