too hot - aaron hotchner

"Aaron," you groaned, flipping over on your side for what seemed like the hundredth time that night.

"Mmm?" He responded with a low murmur, a mere acknowledgment.

Your foot collided with his leg as you tried to kick the last remaining bits of bedding off your body, rousing a grunt from him as he gripped you by your waist and pulled you flush against his chest.

"Please be still and just go to sleep," he sighed, his voice thick with sleep.

"I can't," you whined, trying to wiggle your way out of his grasp. Normally you would have reveled in his touch, snuggled as close to him as possible, but tonight that was not an option, "It's hot as balls in here, I think the A/C is out again."

"If it is, there's nothing we can do about it at one in the morning," he said, his eyes still closed, "I can go get a fan, would that help?"

"Maybe," you conceded, feeling the bed dip as he tumbled out of bed.

You watched groggily as he slowly made his way through your room, admiring his almost nude body in the slight glow of the moon through a crack in the curtains. He disappeared into the dark hallway and returned minutes later with the dusty white box fan that you only used for occasions like this. He wandered over to the outlet closest to your side of the bed and plugged it in.

You smiled to yourself, anticipating the sweet relief of at least a little airflow.

Instead, you were met with Aaron softly cursing.

"What is it?" you asked, squinting as he turned on a nearby lamp.

He fiddled with the fan for a few more minutes before cursing again lowly, "It's broken."

"You're kidding?" you groaned once again, frustrated. While Aaron could sleep through anything, you knew you would not get a wink of sleep with the suffocating heat.

"We could open the window," he offered.

"Open the window to our ground-level bedroom in the middle of the night in D.C.? I don't think so," you said adamantly, "Plus, it's summer. That would only let more hot air in."

"I don't know what else we can do, hon, it's too early in the morning for anything to be open, or I would go buy another fan," he resigned, coming to sit at the edge of the bed.

You squeezed your eyes shut, flopping down against the pillows, "Do we have any ice packs? Ice water might help or a cool shower or maybe some ice cream...do we have ice cream?"

Aaron chuckled, "You want ice cream at one in the morning?"

Too far down the bed for you to punch him in the arm, you settled for jabbing him in the side with your foot.

"Hey," he squirmed away from your attack, a playful smile on his face.

"You know I'm always in the mood for ice cream, " you pointed your finger at him accusingly.

He held his hands up in surrender, "I'm not judging you. Do you want me to fix you a bowl?"

You thought for a moment before an idea dawned on you, and you smirked. You pulled yourself upright and stood, taking his hand.

"I have a better idea."

"I'm not eating it straight out of the tub, I'm not a heathen," he teased as you held out a spoon for him.

You were perched on the kitchen island wearing nothing a very loose shirt of his, which still felt like too much clothing in the sticky heat. The round tub of chocolate fudge ice cream, one of Aaron's favorites and the only flavor you had on hand, sat beside you, the lid discarded next to it as you dug your spoon directly into it.

"Have it your way," you shrugged, lifting the spoon to your lips, moaning graciously as you swallowed, the sweet treat slowly cooling your seemingly molten insides.

"Jeez, you don't have to make it pornographic," he laughed lightly, coming to stand between your legs, his hands resting on the smooth marble on either side of you.

"It feels pornographic," you mumbled through a mouthful of chocolate, scooping a bite up and offering it to him, "Trust me, it helps. And, it's your favorite flavor."

He rolled his eyes at your temptation before opening his mouth, allowing you to stick the spoon in. He closed his lips around it and slipped the ice cream off, his eyes fluttering shut at the cooling sensation, a pleased sound coming from his throat. You took the spoon back, laughing.

"See, I told you," you scrunched your nose at him and he bopped it with his finger.

"I suppose it did help a little," he relented.

"Uh-huh, you were practically moaning," you teased as you tapped his cheek with the icy spoon.

He swatted the spoon away playfully, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he let his face fall to the crook of your shoulder, "Ready to go back to bed?"

"Just a few more bites," you said, sighing as you took another one, feeling cooler by the minute. You played with his ebony hair, which had gotten a few inches longer than usual since he had been neglecting his regular hair appointments due to a heavy influx of cases. It was just long enough to show his natural fluffy curl pattern when it wasn't slicked down with gel, and you loved it.

"Promise me not to cut your hair shorter than this again," you said absentmindedly through another bite of ice cream, "It's easier to play with this way, and I love your little curls."

When he didn't respond and you scratched at his scalp lightly, which only caused a soft, short groan to leave him. With his breath steadily puffing out against your exposed collarbone, you quickly realized he was asleep.

You smiled, nuzzling your cheek against his head for a moment. You then reached over and returned the lid to the ice cream before gently shaking him awake, "Aar, c'mon, let's go back to bed."

He stirred, his eyes barely open as his raised himself up off you. He rubbed his eyes tiredly with his fists as you put the ice cream away and one spoon in the sink, returning the unused one to the drawer. You then led him back to bed.

On the way, you noticed a cord sticking out from the hallway closet where the box fan came from. You paused, opening the closet to tuck the cord back in before realizing it was another fan.

"Hey, look, we have another fan," you squealed in delight.

"We do?" he asked tiredly.

"Yeah, I remember now, the other fan broke last time the air was out so we got this one, I guess we forgot to throw it out," You giggled, hauling the new fan into your bedroom.

You unplugged the broken fan and set it to the side before plugging in the new one. To your relief, this one worked, and a gust of cool air swept over you.

"Hallelujah," you groaned, pointing it at your side of the bed before flopping down onto the sheets.

Aaron slung a strong arm over your waist, "Better?"

You hummed happily already so much closer to sweet sleep, "Much better."