attention - aaron hotchner

This week had been one of the longest weeks Aaron had had in the few months you had been married. When he walked through the door all he wanted was to be in your arms and let the stress melt away.

So when he came home to find you sitting in your shared office, still working on paperwork for your small business, it disgruntled him more than it should have.

"Hey, honey," you called out sweetly as he slumped passed the doorway.

He ignored you, and you frowned. You had expected him to come in and greet you like he always did when he came home, especially after he had been gone for a few days on a case.

You thought about going to him, but decided against it. He was obviously upset and overtired, and approaching him usually didn't go well when he was in such a state. He would come to you.

About half an hour later he emerged once again in the doorway, dressed in a plain white tee shirt and checkered pajama pants. You glanced up at him as he leaned against the doorway, startling yourself with how exhausted he looked. His eyes were half lifted and boasted deep, dark circles. His whole body slumped forward, as if he could fall over and sleep on the floor at any given moment.

"Hey," you said softly.

He looked at you with the biggest puppy dog eyes that you had ever seen, and your heart melted.

"Hard case?" You asked, swivel in the desk chair so you could extend your arms out to him.

He rounded the desk and graciously accepted your embrace with a slow nod, his tall frame towering over you as you were still seated. He leaned down, nuzzling his face into your neck, sighing at the contact.

"Baby, why don't you go lay down? I've just got a couple more order forms to fill out and then I'll be up there," you suggested, scratching at his back soothingly.

He shook his head against you.

You giggled, "I promise I'll be there in a second, just go lay down. You're exhausted."

He moved, but only to drop to his knees and rest his head in your lap like a cat. You rolled your eyes, threading your fingers through his silky, raven colored hair on instinct.

"Bubba, I can't do my work like this," you sighed, fingers scratching lightly at his scalp.

Finally, he spoke, "I just need you."

You swore your heart split open. Here was this big, tough man who worked himself to death day in and day out. You knew he would never let anyone but you see him like this, and you couldn't take that for granted.

The order forms could wait till morning.

Your Aaron Hotchner needed you.

"Let's go upstairs, yeah?" You whispered.

He nodded sleepily, standing slowly and helping you to your feet as well. He held your hand firmly in his, as if it were an anchor for him, and practically dragged you to the bedroom with him.

You changed quickly into one of his tee shirts, which hung loosely over you and smelled deliciously of his cologne. As you stood for a moment in front of the vanity, taking off your jewelry, you felt a pair of strong arms wrap around you.

Hotch held you as close to himself as possible, his face finding it's home once again in the crook of your neck. He mouthed lazily at your skin with no real intentions, just simply enjoying the essence of you: your taste, your scent, your touch.

You smiled into the vanity mirror, turning slightly to nuzzle your nose into his hairline.

"I love you," you said simply.

He made a noise of contentment before muttering softly against your skin, "I love you more."

"Not possible," you grinned, ruffling his hair before detaching yourself from him.

Your bodies weren't separated for long. As soon as you unmade the bed and wiggled yourself beneath the sheets, he was right there with you.

"What do you need tonight, bub?" You asked, sweetly running a hand over his cheek as he gazed at you, already half asleep.

"Just you. Skin to skin?"

You smiled, peeling his shirt up and over your frame as he did the same with his own shirt. You scooched even closer to him, pulling him down so he was laying flush against your chest.

You threaded your fingers in his hair once more, pressing a soothing kiss to his forehead, "Don't you go sleeping on me just yet, Hotchner. Not before we finish our bedtime routine."

His eyes were closed, but a sleepy smile spread across his lips, "You go first."

"Hmm..." you hummed in thought, continuing to stroke through his silky soft hair, "Three good things that happened to me today...well, I got finally Lizzy fully trained, so the shop officially has ten employees. Oh, and the girl in front of me at the drive through paid for my weekly Friday fries. And last but not least, my ridiculously handsome husband came back to me in one piece."

He grinned up at you, giving you a small kiss on your collarbone.

"Your turn," you said, giving his side a little poke.

He squirmed slightly, moving so he was fully laying on his stomach between your legs, his upper half entirely against yours, "Well, number one, I fell asleep on the jet and Dave did the rest of my paperwork for me. Number two, we were able return all three abducted children safely to their parents. And number three, I got to come home to the most beautiful boss lady in the world."

Your cheeks turned pink and you couldn't help but lean in and kiss his nose, "I'm so happy you're home."

As if that much speaking had drained the remaining energy from him, he whispered against you, "Me too," before his breathing evened out.

You watched him sleep for a few minutes, admiring his rare, peaceful state. The way his pink lips were parted slightly, warm puffs of hair passing between them and fanning over the skin of your chest. The way his forehead creases disappeared and made him look so much younger, so much more innocent. Like he didn't see the most gruesome things imaginable day in and day out.

You flicked off the bedside lamp and wiggled around a little until you were properly situated against the pillows, Hotch's weight against you providing a sense of protection and comfort.

You continued to card your fingers through his hair as you prayed for more evenings like this, until you eventually fell fast asleep as well.