blessing in disguise - aaron hotchner

This was an awesome request I got from a lovely reader, where basically reader and Hotch have the argument to Reid and JJ when Emily comes back. Except in this they aren't in the middle of a case. I kinda love it, but buckle up cause it's long. Enjoy! ~🌸

"I can't believe you would do that to me!" You yelled, storming out of Hotch's office with hot tears stinging your eyes.

"Y/N, wait-"

"Wait for what? For you to make up another excuse as to why lied to me for ten months?" You were aware of everyone's eyes on you but couldn't care less in the moment.

"That's not fair," his voice was loud and stern, but not fever-pitch like yours.

"No," you snapped, turning on your heal to face him with anger so fuming you couldn't see straight, "You want to know what's not fair? What's not fair is you watching your coworker, dare I say your friend, cry her eyes out to you over the 'death' of her best friend every weekend for ten whole months while knowing the whole time that she wasn't. really. dead."

Your words dripped poison mixed with agonizing pain.

"Y/N, please, it wasn't his fault," Emily reached to grab your shoulder.

You shied away, "No, Emily, you weren't here," you were sobbing now, "You didn't see the way I cried over you the way I grieved."

"I know, and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. But please don't blame Hotch, he was just protecting me," she reasoned.

Your brain knew that. Your heart? Not so much.

"There should have been another way," you said coldly, turning back to make dead eye contact with Hotch, "You should've found another way."

You gathered your things swiftly from your desk before making a beeline for the doors.

Hotch must've had a sudden death wish, because he came after you.

"Y/N! Y/N wait," he called after you, stopping the elevator door with his hand, "Don't do this. She's back now, why can't you just be happy about that?"

You stared at him, ice cold, "Move your hand, Agent Hotchner."

"No," his gaze turned sorrowful to stern in a matter of seconds, "Just because you're pissed off doesn't mean you can talk to me like that. I'm still your boss when you're on the clock."

"Then I'll just clock out," you snarled, "I'll leave the team and you can go tell them I died too, just to make things a little easier on yourself."

You thought that would set him off but instead it just stunned him. He just looked at you, eyes wide as he took a step back, letting the elevator go. His reaction deflated you too, your shoulders sagging as you descended.

When you got out at the bottom, making your way towards security to leave, you heard another voice call for you.

"Y/N!"

You turned. It was Spencer.

"Hey, Spence, sorry you all had to see that, I-"

"No, no, it's fine. Actually, I had a very similar reaction," he said, surprising you, "I wasn't as public about it, but I did get into a pretty intense argument with JJ. She was the one I cried to, like how you went to Hotch. I've been feeling pretty betrayed too."

You let out a deep breath, "So I'm not crazy and irrational?"

"Not at all," he shoved his hands in his pockets, "But I think we should focus on Emily. How many people get the chance to have a loved one come back from the dead?"