exes and serial killers beware - aaron hotchner

Exes.

If you're above the age of 25 chances are you have at least one or two. You would think at the ripe old age of 32 you would be unbothered by running into an ex, but somehow men always find new ways to annoy you.

The worst thing about this ex in particular was that you worked in the same building, which meant you saw him at every FBI event. And even now when he saw the glittering engagement ring on your finger, he still was convinced you missed him.

"Don't look now but Jake's walking this way," Emily snorted from her place next to you at a standing table, sipping her champagne.

FBI galas should have been fun. Somehow Jake always managed to make them miserable.

"Hotch is getting me another drink, he must have seen him walk away," you sighed, just before you felt a tap on your shoulder.

"Hey, beautiful."

"Jake."

You didn't even look at him, hoping that if you gave him the bare minimum that he would walk away.

You were never that lucky.

"Your dress is stunning. You've always had the best taste."

Obviously my taste in men used to be lacking, you thought, but restrained yourself from saying it.

"I know," you responded simply, causing Emily to snicker.

"Are you really not even going to look at me?" He asked, growing annoyance evident in his tone.

"Not if I don't have to," you chuckled mirthlessly, fiddling idly with the ring on your hand.

Hurry up, Aaron.

Telepathy hadn't worked out for you yet, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

"Don't tell me you're still with that old guy. He always looks like he has a stick up his ass," Jake groaned.

You finally turned around to face him, silently holding up your left hand.

His face scrunched up unattractively, as if he smelled something rancid, "You're joking."

"Nope, the diamonds are one-hundred-percent real," you stated triumphantly.

He frowned, "I could've done better. That thing is tiny."

"Like your—"

"Em!" You cut off Emily with a laugh before she could finish, though you really would've loved to see the look on his face if she had.

He apparently understood what she meant, however. "Glad to see you're immature as ever, Prentiss."

"I think what's exceptionally immature is hitting on an engaged woman."

You grinned as Jake whipped around to see Aaron standing behind him, a cocktail for you in one hand, a scotch in the other for himself.

He walked around Jake with a pleased smirk, handing you your drink. You leaned up and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thank you, honey."

He hummed lightly in response before coming to stand on the other side of you, a hand resting on your back.

"Is there something you would like to discuss with the BAU, Agent Cunningham?" He asked Jake, the formality in his voice sounding diplomatic.

Authoritative.

"I was just talking to Agent L/N. Am I not allowed to do that?" Jake sneered.

"Not if you are going to make her uncomfortable, no," he responded like cooly, "Also three weeks from today you will refer to her as Agent Hotchner."