famous for hugs - derek morgan

Warning! Unsub commits suicide so if that is triggering to you please don't read. Take care of yourselves, loves :)

If Derek Morgan were to be famous for anything, it would be his hugs. Anytime you were feeling low or scared or just had a rough case, you could count on him to make everything better with his arms around you.

You were just friends at the time when you first fell in love with his hugs. You had only been with the BAU for a few months, and it was your first time being the one to try and negotiate with the unsub. You felt bad for her, as she was a psychologically damaged teenage girl who had experienced years of abuse leading up to the murders she committed. You knew if the abuse never happened, she wouldn't be doing what she was doing.

You told Hotch to let you talk to her, as you felt you could relate the most to teenage girls. She was holding a gun to herself in her room. You put your gun in your holster and talked to her for a what felt like forever. Just when it seemed like she was going to drop her weapon, she pulled the trigger. You felt yourself crumble as a strangled cry escaped your throat. In your eyes, you had failed.

Time stood still as you sat there on your knees, in shock and in agony over what you had just witnessed. You watched the others move around you like you were watching a movie on a screen. Hotch running over and checking for a pulse. Him leaning back up after a few moments and shaking his head somberly. Reid standing next to him, calling for a medic.

You looked down at your hands and realized that you were close enough that a few drops of her blood had splattered onto your hands. You felt like you were going to pass out. Then something was blocking your vision and a pair of strong arms were wrapped around your shaking frame.

You realized somehow in your shocked state that it was Morgan. He was on his knees in front of you, pulling you close so that you could hear his pounding heartbeat. You felt his chest vibrate against your cheek. He was talking to someone. Your ears were ringing so bad, you didn't quite catch what he said.

You could've sat there for an hour, you could've sat there for five minutes. You didn't know. But when he released you, the girl's body was gone and so was everyone else that had been in the room.

"We need to take you down to the medics, okay?" He spoke softly. He sounded so far away in your head.

You shook your head, "No, no I'm okay, she's the one...I could've...I didn't save her, I didn't do my job-"

"None of that," he cut you off, "you did everything you could. You were so brave. I will not have you thinking anything less."

You whimpered, "I thought the people we dealt with would always be bad people. She wasn't bad, Morgan. She was hurting and broken."

Morgan pulled you back into his arms securely, his lips close to your ear, "I know, babygirl. We see a lot of unfair things in this job. But you have to remember how much good we see too. Did you see how the whole community came together to serve the victims' families?"

"Mmhm," you bummed quietly in agreement, your chin resting on his shoulder.

"That's proof that there is still more good than bad in the world. We just see more of the bad because we're the ones who have to look for it and try to stop it," he explained.

You nodded weakly, "you're right."

He pulled you back so he could see your face, pushing some stray baby hairs behind your ear, "I'm always right, babygirl." A faint smile creeped onto your lips, "There's that gorgeous smile. Now let's go get you checked out okay?"

Suddenly overcome by fatigue, you had no will to argue with him. You slumped slightly and he noticed how weak and shaky you were. Wordlessly, he picked you up, your legs around his waist, your arms draped over his shoulders and clasped behind his neck. You rested your head on his shoulder as he carried you out of the room, down the stairs, and out to where the emergency vehicle was waiting.