hangry - spencer reid

You and Blake were in a room in the police station trying to work on victimology. There was no clear connection between the five victims and it was highly frustrating.

The team knew you and Spencer were a couple, but you still tried to keep it lowkey around them. When it came to Spencer, if the team couldn't figure out why he was acting a certain way, they always knew you could provide an answer. Just like right now.

"I sure hope you have some good news for me, Morg, cause we have nothing," you sighed, picking up your cell, putting it on speaker.

"Actually, I was calling about your Little Mr. Grumpy-"

Morgan was cut off by the sound of your boyfriend screeching in the background, "I'm not grumpy! You better not have actually called Y/N..."

You looked at Blake, confused, "Morgan, what's going on?"

Morgan chuckled, "Reid's being an a-"

"Morgan! Stop!" Spencer's high pitched, embarrassed voice called.

"He's been giving us attitude this whole time, and he won't tell us what's bothering him," Morgan sighed, "Got any tricks for us?"

You groaned before snipping a sarcastic reply, "I don't know Morgan, does he have enough water and sunlight?"

"I'm not a plant!" Spencer pouted.

"Please, pretty girl, we really need to snap him out of his little mood so he can actually help us here," Morgan pleaded.

You sighed, "Put him on the phone."

"I told him not to call you," Spencer's voice rang through as the main speaker now, low and grumbly.

"Everything okay?" you asked suspiciously.

"Yes. Why wouldn't it be?" he snapped, "Derek's just being dumb and trying to distract from the case."

"Woah, woah, woah, bub," you were confused since he rarely acted like that, "Something's bothering you. You seemed to sleep fine last night, so I doubt it's fatigue. It's pretty hot, have you been drinking enough water?"

"I don't need you trying to be my mother, Y/N," he said gruffly.

Now that definitely was out of character for him. He knew your nurturing nature and usually loved it.

"Listen, I don't know why you're taking this out on me, or Morgan, or anyone else," you gave a mirthful chuckle, "I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong. We'll call you when we have more information."

And with that, he hung up.

You were floored, staring at Blake incredulously, "Alright, you're the linguist. Could you tell what was wrong?"

She gave a short laugh, "There wasn't much to gather from that other than the fact that he is definitely agitated."

You nodded, sorting through all the reasons he could be agitated. Of course, it could be anything, but you knew there were very few things that made him act that way. The top three most common of those things were: unsubs flirting with you, sexual frustration, and being hungry.

You grabbed the keys to the SUV and told Blake you would be back shortly.

When you showed up at the library Morgan, Reid, and JJ were at, they were both surprised and relieved. Well, at least Morgan and JJ were.

"Thank God," Morgan groaned, "He's being such a pain."

You gave Morgan a look, "Be nice."

JJ may have been the only technical mother on the team, but there was no question as to who the Team Mother really was. Spencer was sulking at a table, a book that he clearly wasn't reading in his hands.

"Spence," you said softly, pulling a bag out of your purse.

He looked up at you and huffed, "Did they send you to babysit me?"

You gave him a sharp look, "I figured out what's wrong with you, but it's still no excuse to treat me, Morgan, and JJ like crap."

His hard expression fell at your light scolding and he mumbled, "Sorry."

"Mhm," you hummed, setting the bag down in front of him, "Now, eat."

"Really?" JJ scoffed, "All that and he was just hungry?"

You stood next to Spencer as he appreciatively bit into his sandwich, a smile on his face proving his already improved mood. You gave the back of his hair an affectionate ruffle, "Yeah, Spence has a tendency to get hangry."

Morgan chuckled, "So if I start acting grumpy for no reason, will you bring me food?"

Spencer shook his head and mumbled through a mouth full of food, "Get your own."

All of you laughed as Morgan put up his hands in fake surrender.

"Did you have breakfast before we left the hotel?" you asked Spencer.

He shook his head 'no.'

"Spence, that's..." you looked down at the watch on your wrist, "eight hours with no food! You know I hate it when you skip meals like that, it's not healthy."

He looked up at you with puppy eyes, talking through his food, "I know, but Hotch wanted us to leave at six-thirty, I just didn't have time-"

"So what if you're a few minutes late?" you shrugged, "It won't kill Hotch to wait. Your health takes priority."

He nodded, "I know...I just- you know how I get -where my mind gets all caught up in a case and I forget about myself sometimes."

You leaned down and pressed your lips to his temple, "I know, it's not your fault. You just need to work on making time for yourself," you pulled away with a smirk, "What on earth would you do without me?"

He put his food down, wrapping his arms around your waist, which were level with his arms due to him being seated and you standing. He pulled you close, tucking his face in your side.

"I'd still be a wreck, probably," he mumbled into your shirt before shifting so he could look up at your face, "Thank you so much, I know this was out of your way. I love you."

You smiled widely, bending down to capture his lips in a sweet kiss, "I love you too. And you don't have to thank me, I know you would do the same for me."

He smiled his undeniably adorable Spencer Reid smile, "I would."

"And that's why we work," you gave his hair one more ruffle and a peck before adjusting your purse back on your shoulder, "Now let's crack this case so we can save some lives and get home, yeah?"

You said quick goodbyes to JJ and Morgan as you rushed back out, leaving Spencer to undoubtably be teased by his coworkers.

Short and sweet, I fell in love with this blurb idea from a girl on tik tok (I can't find her name, but it said "imagine spencer being hangry until you get him food") and knew I had to write it. So credit for the original idea goes to her! I think it turned out so cute though! Hope you enjoyed, updates might be a little slower with school now but I will try my best to be consistent! ~🌸