family reunion - aaron hotchner

It was your first date with Hotch that Jack would be around for.

Well, it was technically a family cookout, but it counted as a date in your eyes. You had met Jack on several occasions but this was the first time he would be spending more than 10 minutes in your presence. You had made a bold move and invited Hotch and Jack to your family's annual reunion cookout, and needless to say you were beyond nervous. You had only been dating Hotch for around 2 months, and you were praying he wouldn't be scared off by the end of the night.

"Hey! You guys made it!" You greeted excitedly as Hotch walked into the kitchen escorted by your mother, Jack holding onto his hand. You would have gotten the door yourself, but you were chopping vegetables and herbs for some dish your aunt was making.

"Y/N, you told me he was handsome, but you didn't say he was that handsome," you aunt gushed, judging you with a wink.

Your cheeks tinged pink and you rolled your eyes before turning to talk directly to him, "Mom will show you to the backyard, I'll be out in just a sec," you leaned down to eye level with Jack, extending your hand for a low-five which he accepted eagerly. "Nice to see you again, little man."

You flashed Hotch a dazzling smile and he returned it. He looked surprisingly far more relaxed than you, especially in his white tee shirt underneath a light blue unbuttoned button up and khaki shorts. You didn't even know he owned anything so casual aside from his pajamas.

You finished up in the kitchen quickly, washing your hands and removing your homemade apron before rushing outside. You were praying that Hotch hadn't been swallowed up by your other, rather predatory, aunts or worse, grilled by your father.

Instead what you saw made your heart absolutely melt. He was chasing Jack around the yard as all your cousins played among them. He swooped in and picked Jack up, throwing him over his shoulder, causing the young boy to squeal in delight. Hotch looked over and made eye contact with you, a wide, genuine smile on his face as he laughed. He set Jack back on his feet and the boy quickly joined your cousins who were kicking around a ball. He made his way over to you.

You smiled fondly at him, your heart fluttering in your chest. His grin softened to a warm, glowy smile as he neared you.

"You're such a cute dad," you hummed, draping your arms over his shoulders and around his neck once he was close enough.

He blushed (yes, Hotch blushed), "I really appreciate you inviting him. I told him last week we were coming and he hadn't stopped talking about it since."

You smiled, "he's so sweet. Takes after you."

Hotch shook his head, "You flatter me too much."

"It's not flattery if it's true," you quipped, pressing a kiss to his cheek, "Speaking of dads, you haven't had to meet mine yet, have you?"

"He introduced himself and said we would talk more later, he was busy with the grill," he shrugged.

"Are you sure this isn't all too soon for you?" You worried, chewing your bottom lip, "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"No, no it's not too soon at all," he reassured you, "I was a little nervous at the idea of meeting your whole family at once, but they've all been as amazing as you."

"As amazing?" You question, fake pouting, "I thought I would at least be a tiny bit more amazing."

"Hmm," he hummed, pretending to think about it, "I suppose you could be, but you'll have to prove it for me to be convinced."