8. 1987

Something weird happened and the chapter 'Zombies' is supposed to come before this one, but now it comes afterwards. I tried to fix it, but wattpad seems to really like this order.

So just read the next chapter first and then this one. At least if 'Zombies' is the next chapter, because I'm confused.

---

Me and Nate are working on a way to find aberrations, before they happen. Professor egghead and Haircut helped too, but they're doing other stuff now.

"Wrench." Nate says. I hand him the wrench. Neither of us are engineers, but we're doing our best.

"What are you doing?" Amaya asks behind us.

Nate answers her, while I lay the finishing touches on the device. "A little side project we've been working on with Ray and the professor."

"Done." I say.

Then I explain it to her. "Temporal aberrations cause these things called timequakes. Nate had the idea that if we could locate their epicenters, maybe we'll be able to fix the aberrations before they happen."

"Like a time seismograph." She realises.

"That's an awesome name, and we're totally gonna steal that." Nate replies with me nodding in agreement.

Amaya starts to take a trip down memory lane. "If the JSA could get even a glimpse of all this, they would..."

"They'd what?" Nate asks.

She dismisses it and starts to leave. "Never mind."

Nate stops her, while I make myself comfortable in one of the chairs. "Hey, wait. We've barely had half a conversation since you came on board, and you were friends with my grandfather. Talk to me. What was he like in person?"

"Your grandfather was a great man." She says. I raise an eyebrow, wondering why she's not saying anything else.

"That's it? He's a great man?" Nate asks. Visibly disappointed. "Is it because your missions were classified, or is it because you really didn't know him well as a person?"

"It's because the JSA didn't encourage his members to fraternize." She replies. "Something you and your team should consider."

This gets me out of my thoughts. "We live together on this way too small time ship. How can we not fraternize?"

She thinks about it for a moment and then dismisses it. She's about to walk out when the time seismograph finds an aberration. "It worked?" She asks.

I would be offended by that, but I also had my doubts it would work. Nate grabs the tablet that we connected to the device. "Oh, it worked all right."

Before I can take a look, he runs to the bridge, where, suprisingly, everyone else already is. "The aberration device works and we've located one!" He enthusiastically shouts.

"Where's it coming from?" Sara asks, walking over to the console. The others do the same, except for Chucky who isn't interrested.

"Washington D.C., December 7, 1987. 1600 Pensylvania Avenue."

"So?" My brother asks from his place against the wall.

"Dude, that's the white house." Kid points out.

"So what?" Chucky asks, still not interrested.

Egghead speaks up. "December 7th was the day before Reagan and Gorbachev signed the INF Treaty, reducing both countries' nuclear arsenals and paving the way for the end of the cold war."