15. Al Capone

August 1997

Me and my sister have a new target. Chien learned quickly and already reached my level. It caused me to up my game too.

We are here for a man named- His name doesn't really matter. All that matters is that he dies tonight. And he will.

Chien and I run inside a big mansion. An informant told us that this is where he lives. We are met by guards. Chien looks at me, and I nod.

That is all it takes for us to kill the guards in sinc. They didn't even have the time to pull their triggers.

Even though Chien is two years older than me, I get to lead the mission. Now that I'm 14, I'm finally considered old enough.

New guards arrive. "Keep them busy." I tell Chien. We talk in English on missions, because we may be lucky and have a target that doesn't speak English. It doesn't happen often though, and it's actually just a stupid rule we have to follow.

I enter the living room, but nobody is there. I look around for anything unusual, anything out of place. My eyes land on a painting of a young woman with a tullip in her hair.

There are a lot of painings here. All expensive classics: Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso,... Except for that one. I doubt it's worth anything. I take it off the wall and toss it aside, revealing a red button.

And I do what any saint person would do if they see a red button. I push it.

A hatch opens on the floor. I take my sword in the hand, and go inside. A man appears behind me and tries to stab me with a knife. I assume it's the target. I easily dodge the knife. The man is skilled, but the war cry when he took a shot at me gave him away. "Lotus." He breaths.

It doesn't take me long to pierce my sword through his chest.

In the corner of my eye, I see a girl run away from me. I shrug and follow her out. I'm not planning on killing her or anything, it's just the only way out.

---

-Present-

I'm in the cargo bay. I'm sitting on one of the crates with a bag of licorice, while Haircut and Nate are testing out Haircut's new suit.

Nate, now made of steel, throws Haircut over his shoulder. Haircut groans and stands up. "Okay. New suit's good, but I think it needs those modifications Cisco mentioned."

"It's a poor hero to blame a super suit." Nate says. To which I nod in agreement.

"Exoskeleton." Haircut corrects him. "Come on, let's do this. I wanna get the kinks worked out before our next mission."

"What's the rush?" Nate asks, way too overconfident. "I think I'm doing a pretty good job picking up your slack."

I decide to comment on that. "We scientists have a name for that phenomenon. It's called beginners luck."

Haircut smiles. "Ha, even Kate is on my side."

He doesn't give me the chance to say something else, instead he gets ready to throw another punch at Nate. He doesn't get the chance to do that either, because Sara walks in with the kid. "Hey! What do you think you're doing?"

"Uh, s- sparring." Nate stutters out.

"Yeah, he's helping me calibrate the new suit." Haircut says. "And Kate is just sitting there."

I smile in response.

Kid doesn't like it. "Last time y'all decided to spar, you wrecked my cargo bay."