20. George Washington

There's this chapter 'The call', which is supposed to come before this one. It's not the next chapter, but the one after. I don't know why Wattpad keeps switching up the order of the chapters. I just hope this is the last one out of place.

---

"This is a trap." I point out. Apparently, general Washington was murdered on Christmas eve. "It's Chicago all over again. The Legion's trying to lure us into 1776."

"Very effectively, I might add." Egghead comments.

My brother walks in and sits on the step in front of Sara's office with a sandwich. "Yeah."

"You wish to speak, Mr. Rory? I noticed the death of our forefather hasn't diminished your apetite." Egghead says.

I scoff. "Please, nothing can diminish his apetite."

He takes another bite of his sandwich. "Mm, Washington's a punk."

Egghead disagrees. "He let America to independence and became its first president."

Haircut joins the concersation too. "Well, without Washington, America wouldn't have democracy. Or Hamilton."

"Don't care, I'm not aloud to vote anyway." I say, sitting down next to my brother.

Professor egghead sighs. "Why does that not suprise me?"

"If Washington's so cool, why is he on the $1 bill and Franklin's on the $100 bill? Now he's cool." Chucky grunts.

"Washington got a city. Franklin doesn't." I point out.

Nate continues the argument. "Franklin is cool, but he didn't lead the troops across the Delaware in a sneak attack. Washington did. And, if that offensive fails, the American revolution fails, and the United States ceases to exist."

I steal a bite from my brother's sandwich. "Like I said, trap."

"Well, surely you're not suggesting we do nothing." Egghead says.

Sara speaks up now too. "No, we have to save Washington. We just need to be careful about it. Let's buckle up."

We all stand up and take a seat. Amaya is hesitant though. "Wait, how do we even know where to find Washington?"

Nate answers her. "The night before crossing the Delaware, Washington was in Pennsylvania at the home of William Keith."

"So we're just gonna break into someone's house on Christmas eve?" Amaya asks, clearly not a fan of the plan.

Kid seems to be down for it. "Yep, just like Santa."

"Keith would've thrown a Christmas banquet for Washington and his men." Nate tells us.

Haircut is enjoying this. "Ah, secret mission on Christmas eve."

Sara spins around in her chair and tells us the plan. "Congratulations, Mick, you just became a private in the U.S. Army, and Kate, you're his wife."

I'm doing my best not to gag at the thought. I look at my brother who's face is priceless. Sara just ignores this and continues: "Nate, Amaya, you two will pose as wealthy newlyweds, eager to make a contribution to the revolutionary cause. Jax and Stein, quarterback the mission from the ship. At the first sight of trouble, you Firestorm up. Ray, I need you to miniaturize down in the ATOM suit-"

She's interrupted by my brother's laughing. "Ha, a toy in a Christmas stocking."

Sara ignores him and finishes her sentence. "And run reconnaissance."