5. Steel boy

-December 1992-

I'm in the middle of a training session. They let me into the Triad, so I'm working very hard to earn it. I've already gotten three teachers to quit. Apparently they don't like it when you stab them with a knife.

I was just training.

I see Zhishan walking in with a young girl. She looks about 12 years old. Her hair is a shade of dark brown, almost black, except for a lock of white hair.

"Kate. I want to introcuce you to someone." Zhishan says in Chinese. He never speaks Chinese to me, so I assume the girl doesn't speak English.

I grab a towel to wipe a bit of sweat off my forhead, afterwards I go to the girl and hold out my hand. "Kate Rory."

She hesitantly shakes it. "Chien Na Wei."

Zhishan goes straight to the point. "Chien is going to live with us."

My eyes widen a bit in suprise. "She is?" I ask, still in Chinese.

"Yes." Then he gets a phonecall. "Kate could you take her to her room, I have to take this. She'll be sleeping in the room across from yours."

I nod and throw the towel in the laundry basket. "Follow me." I tell her.

I lead her through the many hallways that I've come to learn out of my head. I stop at the blue door across from my green one. I open it and let her in. "Do you speak English?" I ask her in English.

She gives me a confused look, so I switch back to Chinese. "I'll take that as a no."

"What was the question?" She asks.

"If you speak English."

"No."

I shrug and sit down in the chair across from the bed. She sits down on the bed. I decide to just ask it. "How did you end up here?"

She sighs. "Some people at school were bullying me and I did this thing in response that really suprised me. I encountered Zhishan, who said he could teach me to be stronger so no one would hurt me again. And now I'm here."

'To be stronger so no one would hurt me again.' That sounds familiar. That's almost exacly what he said to me. I drop it and focus on the story. "Why were they bullying you?"

"Because I look different." She replies, pointing at the strand of white hair she has. "Zhishan said that I'd feel different when I come with him, but I don't."

This gives me a crazy idea. I run to the lab to get this bucket filled with hydrogen peroxide. Then I run back to the blue room and give it to Chien.

She looks confused. "What is this?"

"Hydrogen peroxide." I reply. "Ms. Ngan thaught me that if you soak your hair in it, your hair turns white. I bet you'll feel very different."

She looks shocked at first, but then a smile forms on her face. "Let's do it."

---

-Present-

Sara is teaching me how to fly the ship. It's actually more fun than I expected. "Gently." She reminds me, while I race through the temporal zone.

I laugh. "What's the fun in that?"

She rolls her eyes, but I can see she's enjoying this. Then a sudden hard blow on my head causes me to go unconsious. Why does this keep happening?