Chapter 3: Chemo

Bella's POV:

I smile as I leave Mrs. Jones's room, she's such a nice lady. I read out loud to her when she's in the hospital because she says it makes her forget about being sick. I do this for some of the other patients too, they really seem to enjoy it. Mrs. Jones was the last patient on my rounds today except for Colton James aka the jerk. I mean what's wrong with him? First, he's telling me how beautiful I am and how sorry he is. Then he's yelling at me and telling me I don't know anything when he doesn't even know me! I really don't want to see him but I can't just ignore him. He has his first treatment today, I need to make sure he's alright. I sigh and head to his room. I open the door quietly in case he's asleep but when I walk in I see him reading a book. He looks up and when his eyes meet mine, they instantly fill with guilt. When I look at him, I feel my heartbreak a little. His skin is sickly pale, and his hands are shaking slightly.

I don't know why I'm feeling like this, I've been around people in various stages of cancer treatment and yes it's sad but I always try to just focus on helping them and make them smile. But with Colton, I just want to hug him and always be there to comfort him. I snap out of my trance when I hear him whisper my name. I walk over and check his chart before I grab the blood pressure cuff and wrap it around his arm. "Bella please look at me," he begs. I just continue to check his blood pressure. "Bella please say something." "What do you want me to say? Everythings fine, ok." "I'm so sorry Angle, I didn't mean to yell at you. I was just really stressed about today. I'm so sorry." I want to stay mad at him, but I just can't. "It's ok," I whisper. I reach over and squeeze his hand in reassurance. I was about to pull away but before I could he puts my hand to his lips and kisses my knuckles gently. "Thank you, Angle," he mutters against my hand. I blush and smile.

"So how are you holding up," I ask kindly? "I'm fine, it's not as bad as everyone says it is." "You are a terrible liar," I say, giggling softly. He chuckles. "Fine. I feel like shit," he grumbles. I smile at him sadly. I sit on the edge of his bed and pick up the book he was reading. It's The Fault in our Stars. "You're kidding right," I ask, holding up the book. "What? It's a good story. Plus Agustus has the same type of cancer as me so I can relate to it." I turn to the front of the book and show him the paragraph. "You read this right. This book is a work of fiction. It's not based on anything real." "I know," he responds. "I don't think you should read this. Books are supposed to take you somewhere else, not remind you of the bad things that are happening in your life. Listen just wait here ok, I'll bring you something better." He just nods.

 I run out and grab my bag before I sprint back to his room. "Got it," I say, slightly out of breath. "This is one of my favorite books," I say, holding it out to him. "Inkheart?" "Yeah, it's a fantasy book. I know it looks like a children's book but it's really good I promise." "Ok, I'll give it a try," he says, setting it on his nightstand. "Do you like to read," I ask? "Yeah, I love to read. Like you said it takes you somewhere else for a little while." "Well, I can read it to you if you want. I read to a lot of other patients, it's kinda the main part of my job." "Sure, thank you," he says passing me the book. I sit in the chair next to his bed and open the book, but he apparently has other plans. "No come here," he demands, holding his arms out. I blush and walk over, sliding into bed next to him. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me down so my head is resting on his shoulder. I feel him put his face in my hair and inhale deeply. "You smell so fucking good," he whispers. I blush harder and bury my face into his neck, relaxing against his side. "Bella can I ask you something," he whispers. "Sure," I mumble. "When you walked in and saw it was me, why did you stutter?" "Well, I was surprised and also because well people at school always say you're dangerous. Also, there are a lot of rumors going around that you're in a gang and that you k-killed someone." "So you were scared?" "Well, you did choke me in an alley." He just sighs sadly and holds me tighter. "But I'm not scared anymore and I've never really believed any of the rumors. I think people just make up rumors about people who don't really fit in when they get bored. They aren't true. Are they?" "No there not, none of them and I'm glad you don't believe them. I can't have my girl scared of me." "Your girl," I squeak. "Yes, you're my girl. I've known that from the moment I looked into your beautiful eyes," he says, caressing my cheek. 

Ok, three things. One I've known you for two days and as much as I like you, it's crazy for us to be together. Two, my eyes are not beautiful, they're weird. And three, you're sweet." "Oh, Sweetheart it's not crazy. If we both like each other why shouldn't we be together? Also, your eyes aren't weird, they're unique and beautiful," he says, kissing my nose. "No, they're really not but thank you," I whisper, burying my face back in his neck. "So what do you say, will you be my girl?" "Yeah, I'm yours," I whisper. He lifts my chin up with his finger and gently connects our lips in a sweet soft kiss. He threads his hand through my hair, running his fingers through it. I gently grip the back of his neck. I never want to stop kissing him but I need to breathe, so I gently push on his chest. He growls in protest but pulls away just enough for us to breathe, our foreheads pressed together.

"That was amazing," he says panting lightly. "That was the best first kiss ever," I replied. "That was your first kiss?" "Yeah," I say, dropping my head in embarrassment. He brings my head up and connects our lips again. "Good," he mumbles against my lips. I smile. "Also thank you you've helped me forget that I feel like I'm going to throw up." "Ok I don't want to kiss you anymore," I say jokingly. His deep pink lips jut out into an adorable pout. I just smile and kiss his cheek. Then I grab the book, curl into his side, and begin to read. 

For the next little while, we get lost in the magical world of Inkheart. I think Colton is enjoying it. He is leaning his head on top of mine with his eyes closed, he looks very relaxed. I've almost finished the first chapter when Colton gags. I gently push him back onto the pillows and quickly run over to grab a bucket that all chemo patients have in their rooms. I hold it out to him and he proceeds to empty the contents of his stomach into it. I gently run my fingers through his unruly brown curls, trying to comfort him. He continues to puke his guts out for a couple of minutes followed by some retching and dry heaving. When he finally stops gagging he collapses back onto the pillows, watery-eyed and shaking. I take the bucket and set it on the floor before holding a glass of cold water to his lips. He drinks it greedily. "I'm sorry," he says, his voice hoarse. "It's not your fault besides I've seen worse," I reassure him, stroking his hair. "Is it always this bad," he asks? I nod, smiling sadly. He groans. "Can you keep reading," he asks quietly? "Sure," I replied, climbing back into bed. He shifts positions so that his head is on my chest. Normally I would be uncomfortable but he's not touching me inappropriately or anything so I guess it's ok.

I open the book and start to read again. When I finish the second chapter I look over at Colton to find him fast asleep. His arm is wrapped securely around my waist and his face is snuggled into my chest. I smile, he's so adorable. I should probably get going but I don't want to wake him so I carefully unwrap his arm from around my waist and roll him over. Then I climb out of bed and grab a piece of paper. I quickly wrote him a note telling him to have a good sleep and that I'll see him tomorrow. Then I grab my bag and head home.   

AN: Hi everyone:

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! 

I know that this book discusses some really sensitive topics like cancer and I hope that it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable. I've done some research and I hope all my facts are correct but if there not please let me know. 

Please vote and comment 

Love you all:)

Jessie