31. Reunion

+++++

+++++

"I'm gonna be sick," Magnolia mumbled in the back of the stolen Porsche. Alice drove like a manic through the streets of Italy.

"If we want to make it in time, you'll suck it up." Alice huffed. Magnolia understood, saving Edward from needlessly killing himself was important, but that didn't mean she liked the speeding anymore. She watched as Alice's eyes glossed over as a vision presented itself.

"What? What do you see?" Bella asked nervously.

Alice took a moment to digest what she had just seen. "They refused him," She was referring to the Volturi — the thought of them made Magnolia's skin crawl. She was taking a big risk to help Bella and Edward. Going into the den of the most powerful vampires in the world is a death sentence for a sorcerer. "He's gonna make a scene. Show himself to the humans."

"No! When?" Bella began to hyperventilate.

"He's gonna wait until noon when the sun is highest," Alice explained to both girls. She gasped as another vision crossed her mind. It was strange to Magnolia to see how nervous and frightened Alice was — normally the vampire was happy and smiling.

"God, you gotta hurry, Alice," Bella bit her lip, gripping her seat until her knuckles turned white.

"There's Volterra, Bells," Magnolia pointed ahead of them, lightly touching the human girl's shoulder. "We're almost there." She hoped her words were comforting, but judging by the look on Bella's face, they were far from that.

As they approached the streets of Volterra, they were greeted by a sea of red. People of all ages were dressed head to toe in bright red robes. "What's going on?" Bella asked, panicked. Alice honked the car's horn, trying to get the people out of their way. "Why are they all in red?"

"St Marco's day festival. They're commemorating the explosion of vampires from the city," Alice explained as she struggled through the crowd. Magnolia watched as people angrily moved out of the way, some even flipping them the bird. "It's the perfect setting. The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

Bella gripped her hair tightly. "We have like five minutes."

"I know, Bells," Magnolia kept her hand on her shoulder, gripping it tighter. "Just breathe."

They had driven all they could. Alice was stopped by cops at a roadblock. "Alice!" Bella had gotten out of the car, panicking.

"Bella. You're the only one he can't see coming!" Alice explained. "If I go he'll read my thoughts. If Magnolia goes he'll read hers. He'll think we're lying! He'll rush into it."