12. Sunlight & Dresses

+++++

+++++

It was a rare day in Forks. The sun was shining brightly, not a single cloud to block it. The weather was so nice in fact, that Magnolia walked to school. She didn't live terribly far, about a half an hour walk, but that didn't stop the young girl from enjoying the bright day after a gloomy weekend, dancing to her music as she walked down the street.

Her cheerful mood could not have been broken, except, when at the final crosswalk, someone had stopped at her side. She was too engrossed in her music to really pay attention to whoever it was, she just assumed it was another kid walking to school due to the nice weather.

The walk sign turned on, and Magnolia began to walk. The other kid had made it slightly in front of her, and she caught a glimpse of red hair and pale skin. Her heart began to beat faster, she tried to quiet her loud, nervous breathing. Being with Jasper so much had pushed Elton to the very depths of her mind, and now all the guilt was starting to overflow.

Taking a shaky breath, she matched his pace, keeping her eyes towards the front. Once they had crossed the street, Magnolia spoke. "Elton," She said quietly, grabbing his attention. His face held genuine shock that she had spoken to him until he quickly replaced it with a hard glare. "Can we talk?" She pulled her buds out of her ears.

Elton chuckled, shaking his head. "I don't know. Is your bodyguard around?" He sneered, referring to Emmett.

Magnolia dropped her head. Emmett and the Cullens wouldn't even be at school today, it was too sunny for them to be out. "I never wanted him to do that, to...protect me," She used air quotes. "I just want to tell you the real reason I had been," She paused, unsure of the right word to use.

"Avoiding me?" Elton suggested, not trying to hide the sneer in his voice.

Magnolia sighed. "Sure, avoiding you." She wouldn't lie, she had been avoiding him since that day before English class.

Eyeing the roads, Magnolia made sure no one was around

"I'm..." A thought entered her head, leaving just as quickly as it arrived. Tell him the real truth. About what you really are. Magnolia internally scolded herself for that. Elton could never know because that would mean revealing the Cullen's secret as well. "I'm...well not me, my dad. He was really sick. Like...really sick. He was having mood swings, I had to lock myself in my room a couple of nights due to him and mom's constant yelling. But we got him to a doctor, and it turns out he was just really sleep-deprived and dehydrated." The lie had slipped out so easily, It didn't even sound like one, no matter how far-fetched and stupid it really was.