22. Quileute

+++++

+++++

I waited for Alice in the car, staring at Magnolia's house. I could hear everything, she sounded so hurt and confused, and Alice telling her that I had already left just added salt to the wound. "Get out of my house!" I cringed, and the sudden feeling of want nearly caused me to run in there and take her into my arms, telling her it would all be okay.

But no, I couldn't. I was a monster. I hurt her. I doubt she cares, I'm sure she would play it off as a mistake, but that mistake nearly killed Bella. So there was no going back to her, no matter how much it would hurt the both of us.

Alice soon returned to the car, and despite her stoic expression, I could feel her sadness and guilt. Her dark, honey-yellow eyes had gone blank as she stared out the front car window.

"Thank you, Alice," I told her sincerely. "It's better this way."

She let out a low growl. "I know." She huffed, teeth clenched. The car effortlessly turned on, and I couldn't help but think of her ocean blue eyes as we drove out of Forks.

At the airport, Alice and I said our goodbyes. "I'll be a call away if you need me." She hugged me softly.

I hugged her back. "Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you're looking for." The search Alice was going on to find her family and her past would be a hard one for her, but no doubt she'll power through it.

Her tinkling laugh almost made me sad to split up, but I knew Alice had to go on her own, and so did I. School was something I needed to do, not that I needed the education, no, to get my mind off of Magnolia, to make myself forget her, but forgetting one's mate was nearly impossible, it must be done, for her sake.

"Magnolia! I swear to god you're gonna kill us." Elton clutched onto the sides of his car seat while Magnolia drove down the dirt road to the reservation.

She laughed. "You're just being a baby. You'll be fine. We're almost there, anyway." Magnolia could just make out the small and quaint houses the Quileute lived in.

"Where is there?" Elton questioned, glancing sideways at her.

Magnolia sighed. "We're meeting with some of my friends. I think you know Jacob."

Elton snorted. "Jacob Black? You're friends with him?"

"Hey!" Magnolia's cheeks darkened. "Family friends. Pretty much all of them are. I used to date one, too, in ninth grade."