28. Comfort

+++++

+++++

Magnolia raced to the front door. It had begun to rain heavily and Jacob was storming off to the woods. Bella had caught sight of him. "No," Magnolia gasped as Bella ran from the car to stand in front of Jacob. He stopped dead in his tracks, glaring down at Bella. Magnolia rushed to the car. "Elton!" She flung the car door open. "Why don't you go inside. Give them a little privacy?"

Elton raised a brow at the nervous tone in Magnolia's voice but got out of the car anyway. "Is everything okay? Jacob looks pretty angry."

Magnolia nodded her head slowly. "You could say that," She nudged him closer to the house. "Just...please get inside, Elton."

"Jake!" Bella crossed her arms. Magnolia ducked into the car, prepared to intervene if Jacob's anger got out of hand. "You cut your hair off?" She looked closer at his bicep. "And got a tattoo?"

Jacob sighed, his eyes glancing back at Magnolia for a split second, a look only she would notice. "Bella..." He shook his head.

"I thought you were too sick to come outside!" Belle yelled over the thundering clouds. Magnolia shook her head, disappointed in how Jacob had handled the situation. "Or pick up the phone when I call." She sounded too defeated, it broke Magnolia's heart.

"Go away," Jacob stated plainly. He was keeping his anger at bay for Bella's sake. But how long can he keep it up? Magnolia thought nervously.

Bella paused, taken aback. "What?"

"Go away," Jacob repeated. His jaw tightened and his hands curled into fists. Keep it together, Magnolia thought.

"What happened to you?" Bella groaned. She was so confused. "What's wrong! Hey!" Jacob began to walk away. Bella grabbed his arm. "What happened? Did Sam get to you? Is that what's going on?" Sam? What did Jacob say about Sam?

"No," Jacob huffed. "Sam's trying to help me. Don't blame him," He spoke through gritted teeth. "But if you want somebody to blame, how about those filthy bloodsuckers you both love! The Cullens!" He called to Magnolia.

Anger bubbled in the depths of her stomach. She couldn't help it as she rushed from the car to Bella's side. She unknowingly placed her hand on the human girls' arm. "Watch it, Black." Her eyes darkened as she glared at him. Jacob merely chuckled, unfazed by her.

Bella leaned into Magnolia's touch, away from Jacob. "I don't know what you're talking about-"

"Oh, you know exactly what I'm talking about," Jacob growled. He stared Bella down. "You've been lying to everyone. Charlie. But you can't like to me," Magnolia tightened her protective grip on Bella. "Not anymore, Bella."

"Jacob!" Magnolia recognized the voice of Sam. All their eyes turned to the tree line, where the pack waited for their newest member. They called again when Jacob didn't move.

"Look, Bella," Jacob spoke sadly. "We can't be friends anymore," Even if it wasn't directed to her, Magnolia could still feel the sting of his words — the same words Elton had once told her.

Bella began to panic. "J-Jake I know that I've been," She paused, looking for the best word to use. "H-Hurting you. It's killing me! It kills me," Bella's words cut like a knife through Magnolia's heart. The poor girl thought all of this was her fault and no one had told her otherwise. "I just need some...some time or something."

"Don't," Jacob shook his head, stopping the stammering girl. "It's not you."

Bella sighed deeply. "It's not you, it's me, right?" She huffed. "Really?"

"It's true," Jacob said. "It is me. I'm not...good."

Magnolia laughed, causing Bella and Jacob to turn to her. "Really, Jacob? Why don't you just tell her instead of spreading more lies? She knows about vampires and sorcerers — she should know about you too."

Jacob's previously soft look hardened as his gaze shifted to the sorceress. "Stay out of this, Siren. It's none of your concern," He focused back on Bella. "And Bella, I'm serious. I am no good. I used to be but that good kid is long gone. I don't want to hurt you."

Bella shuddered, either from the cold or the new feeling of loneliness. "You can't...you can't break up with me. You promised!"

"I know," Jacob's head fell. "But I just can't hurt you. I promised I wouldn't. So go home, go with Magnolia and never come back here, or you will get hurt."

Bella's sad eyes glance at Magnolia, who offered the human a comforting smile. When she turned back, Jacob was running off to the pack. Bella shuddered again, but this time into the arms of Magnolia. Warm tears found themselves on her shoulder as Bella cried. "Shh, it's okay," Magnolia stroked her back softly. "Let's get you home and warmed up."

Elton drove them all back to Bella's house. The rain had stopped, giving a feeling of light in the darkness that Bella was shrouded in. "I'll get you settled," Magnolia spoke softly. "And I'll get mom to drop off some dinner for you and Charlie," Bella hummed in agreement and allowed Magnolia to lead her up to the house and into her room. Memories of the last time she was in there flickered through Magnolia's mind, but she quickly shook them away as Bella shivered. "Go have a shower, nice and hot, and I'll warm your clothes and make some soup."

Bella didn't argue, sulking off towards the shower. Magnolia rummaged through the endless amount of clothes until she could find the warmest ones. Placing them onto the bed, she rubbed her hands together and produced a small flame. She hovered it over the clothes until they felt like they had just come out of the dryer.

She finished just in time, as the loud footsteps of Elton came hulking up the stairs. "Where's Bella?" He asked, entering the girls' bedroom.

"In the shower," Magnolia pointed in the direction of the bathroom. "I grabbed her some warm clothes and was about to make her some soup."

"Could I help?" Elton asked, hopeful. Magnolia quirked her lip at him. He shrugged. "Beats sitting in the car for an hour." And so the two got to work, making what ended up more like a stew than a soup. It had just finished cooking when Bella came slowly down the stairs. Her sad face lit up at the smell.

"It smells great, guys," She smiled as she approached the kitchen. "It never smells this good in here. Not with Charlie cooking, anyway," All of them laughed. "You didn't have to do this, Mags."

Magnolia felt her heart swell at the mention of Bella's nickname for her. Shaking her head, she handed Bella a bowl. "It's no problem. I was the one that made you go anyway. Think of this as an apology," Elton and her both grabbed bowls, sitting with Bella on the couch. "Wanna watch a movie?"

Bella nodded shyly. "I'd like that."

Elton jumped to the VCR. "Got any good horror?" Bella pointed out their movies and Elton happily picked The Shining.

Magnolia snuggled into the couch and cautiously placed her head on Bella's shoulder. "I missed you, Bells." She whispered.

"I missed you too," Bella sighed.