09. Field Trip

+++++

+++++

Magnolia stepped out of Bella's Chevy truck onto the school parking lot, where two buses awaited the arrival of students for the biology class field trip.

Bella stared absentmindedly at the dent in her truck, oblivious to the world around her. Magnolia watched sadly, knowing what Bella was thinking about. How did Edward get there so fast? Why was he clearly lying to her?

They had both noticed three of the Cullens approaching the buses—Edward, Alice and Jasper. They reciprocated by looking toward the two brunettes, as well.

The girl's thoughts though were interrupted by Mike Newton's loud voice. "Look at you, huh! You're alive!" He chuckled, mimicking Frankenstein's Monster.

Bella nodded awkwardly. "Yeah..uh false alarm I guess." She looked down at her brown boots, eyeing them with too much curiosity. Magnolia could tell she didn't feel like talking to Mike, but she also knew it was hopeless to try and make him stop.

"Um...Maggie?" He turned to the other brunette. "Could you maybe...give us a minute?" He smiled sheepishly at her.

Bella quickly looked up at Magnolia, her eyes pleading for her not to go. Magnolia took a deep breath, nodding her head slowly, lips pursed. "Sure, Mike. I'll see you on the bus, Bells." She quickly mouthed a sorry and moved away from the two.

She noticed Jasper looking at her, with a small smirk on his face. Glancing around, Magnolia took the opportunity to talk to him, as well as Alice, her mom clearly wasn't around to stop her. "Hey, you two." She smiled widely at the vampires.

"Hello, ma'am." Jasper politely nodded, taking her hand into his, pulling her to his side. He smiled down at her, placing a small kiss to the top of her head. Magnolia smiled up at him. She hadn't expected him to start 'trying' their relationship so quickly.

"Hey! Save some of her for me!" Alice's high pitched voice interjected. Magnolia felt herself being pulled away from Jasper's grasp, and into the small arms of Alice Cullen. "I've missed you so much!" She squeezed, all of the air in Magnolia's lungs fleeting.

"Alice..." She managed to breathe.

The girl let go immediately, looking down at the ground embarrassed. Magnolia was sure if Alice could blush, she would be doing so right now. "Sorry...I couldn't help it."

Magnolia smiled, nudging Alice lightly. "It's okay, I've missed you too." 

"Be careful not to kill the girl, Alice," Edwards's voice interjected. Magnolia looked over at him, a glare appearing on her face out of habit. "Don't look so happy to see me, Siren." His voice dripped with sarcasm.