05. Training

+++++

+++++

Magnolia was thrown to the floor once again, breathing heavily, what seemed like gallons of sweat dripping down her face and body. "Again!" Her mother's stern voice sounded from above her. Magnolia huffed angrily, and got up, as much as her legs were protesting for her not to. "Good, good. Always get up again, never surrender to your enemy."

Ariana held out her hand, easily lighting a blue flame within her palm. "Now try it again. You won't be going to bed until you've mastered it."

Magnolia groaned, wiping her forehead, feeling the intense heat from her mother's flame. "Mom, it's 9:00. I have school tomorrow, Bella's tour is tomorrow." Ariana shook her head, shooting the flame out past her daughter's head, it hit the wall with a loud bang, extinguishing with a whoosh. "What the hell, mom?!"

"The fire can't hurt you. Now try it again! Make your ancestors proud!" She yelled. Ariana noticed anger seemed to activate Magnolia's powers, so if she could unlock that, her daughter could reach her full potential.

"Don't yell at me! I'm doing my best mom I-"

"Your best isn't good enough!"

Magnolia felt her anger start to bubble within her. She clenched her hands tightly, glaring harshly at her mother. How dare she tell her own daughter, who's never even tried to conjure magic, that she isn't good enough? Magnolia was trying too hard to please her parents, to be the best sorceress she could be. She trained in combat, she's read all the ancient texts, but the first real lesson she has in magic, her mom degrades her?

The heat of fire returned, but this time it felt hotter, it was closer to Magnolia. She glanced down, and nearly fell over. Within her hand, Magnolia held a raging blue flame. She looked up at her mother, who was standing proudly across from her. "Sweetie, you're doing amazing. Look at you, I'm so-"

A ball of flame flew past her, and onto the wall behind her, narrowly missing her face. "Can I go to bed now?" Magnolia crossed her arms, glaring. Ariana chuckled, nodding her head, and watched her daughter sleepily march up the stairs.

Magnolia sighed as she slammed herself onto her bed. Her legs ached harshly, as she carefully moved her sore body underneath the covers, but once the blanket was on top of her, and a soft pillow held her head, Magnolia instantly fell asleep.

+++++

Weeks had passed, and Magnolia's training was becoming even harder, each task more and more gruelling. Not only could she produce a fire so hot it could instantly turn a vampire to ash, but she also could use what her parents call spells, with which a sorcerer makes certain hand gestures in a row causing a type of power to be used, like a shield that they can use to protect themselves and others, or a sword-like beam of light straight from their hand.