23. Summer Days

+++++

+++++

Needless to say, the day at the beach with Quil and Embry was awkward. Magnolia couldn't shake the image of Paul jumping off the cliff that would kill any normal person, with ease. They hung out for maybe an hour when the boys finally decided she should go home. "Clearly your mind is all over the place." Quil smiled sadly at her.

Magnolia furrowed her brows. "What?"

Quil laughed. "See? That's what I mean," He patted her arm lightly. "Me and Embry can walk home, Elton should drive you back."

"No, Quil," She shook her head. "You came all the way out here just for me, I wouldn't want to force you to walk."

Embry chuckled from behind her. "You're not forcing us, girl. It's okay, you look like you need to go."

Elton had come up behind her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "They're right, Maggie. We should go."

Magnolia sighed, groaning quietly. "Fine," She whined. "You guys are all so pushy," She joked, giving Quil and Embry a hug goodbye. "Say bye to Jake for me." She called as Elton force off.

The didn't speak for the majority of the car ride, only speaking once they were once again in Forks. "Are you okay, Maggie?" Elton asked softly.

Magnolia gulped, looking down at her hands. "I-I don't know if I'm being honest. It's all so weird," She lifted her head, watching the shrubbery go by. "Bella knew I would be there for her, she knew, Elton. But she opens up to Jacob Black? A kid she barely knew?"

Elton sighed, shaking his head. He didn't know what to say to that. Magnolia was right, why did Bella do that? He placed his right hand on her arm the rest of the way home.

Magnolia hated hot days, she never got anything done. The heat made her feel drained and all the chores she wanted to get done never did. She was at least looking forward to going to work with Bella, at least that was something to do.

But she spoke too soon, as the landline rang and her mother called to her. "Maggie, it's for you!"

Groaning, Magnolia got up from her spot on the couch. "Who is it?" She asked as her mother handed her the phone.

"Mike Newton." Her mother chuckled, walking out of the kitchen.

"Oh no," Magnolia sighed before putting the phone up to her ear. "Hello, Mike!"