2

The next day, Mabel was on a plane, alone. The seat next to her was empty, except for her carry-on bag. She sighed as she shut off her phone and put her seatbelt on, leaning against her seat. She closed her eyes, and immediately saw Jill's face, smiling at her.

Mabel quickly opened her eyes and looked out the window as her plane took off. Her eyes filled with tears, and she quickly wiped them away, sniffing.

"Mabel?"

Mabel jumped in her seat and turned to see Allen in the seat next to her. She wiped her cheeks again. "What're you doing here?"

"Jill told me about what happened."

Mabel sighed. "Of course she did."

"Tell me. What happened? What's wrong?"

"It's nothing. It's all my fault, really. I just..." She sighed again. "I know I need to forgive Jill for what happened. I really do. But... I just can't find it in myself. Every time I see her, I just get so angry, and then I start yelling, even though I try not to." She looked at Allen helplessly. "What do I do? I mean, how did Bill and Dipper do it so well?"

"I'm not sure, Mabel." He put a hand on Mabel's shoulder. "I think you just need to sit down with Jill and talk. Listen to her side of the story-"

"But that's the thing- she won't tell me. All she says is Bill wouldn't let her see me, and forced her to stay. I know it's a lie, though. I know when she's lying."

"Are you sure that she is?"

"I'm positive about it."

"Then she's keeping it from you for a good reason. She'll tell you soon enough, I'm sure of it. She can't keep things hidden from you for long." He quickly looked around, then leaned in closer, dropping his voice to almost a whisper. "But listen. You need to talk to her again, and soon. I'm not saying this because I want you two together- I'm saying it to keep you both safe. The moment you start seeing gray again, you need to worry." He disappeared from the seat.

Mabel looked around, but to no avail. Her eyebrows furrowed, trying to think of what he possibly meant.

I can't see gray again. If I do, then Jill died. But she can't die. What does it mean?