14

"Is this really it?"

Mabel smiled, embarrassed. "Yeah. I said I haven't had much time to work on it."

Jill turned to Mabel. "What do you need to get started?"

Mabel looked around her desk. "Fabric scissors, a roll of lime green silk and lace, a roll of white silk, and some sewing needles."

Jill saluted. "On it. But... where are they?"

Mabel laughed. "You don't need to get it, I can message my assistant and he'll get it for me." She pulled her phone out of her back pocket, typing a message.

"Oh? Who's your assistant?"

Mabel grinned at her. "You'll never guess." Mabel picked up her drawing sketch and showed it to Jill. "This is the idea I had- a lime green ballgown with white accents and little pearls on the skirt."

"They're not real pearls, are they?"

"Of course not, you can't sew them on a dress without ruining it. They're fake."

"Okay. And why lime green?"

Mabel blushed. "To be honest, I drew this a while ago, when I was still in college. I thought about changing the color scheme, but I wanted to stick with it."

"For me?" Mabel nodded, and Jill smiled. "Well, if you were making this specifically for me, then I guess it came full-circle, didn't it?"

"Alright, Mabel, I got you everything you asked for, I hope it's enough."

Jill spun at the southern accent and saw a familiar boyish face and white locks. "Gideon?"

Gideon looked at her from his cart of supplies and grinned. "Jill! It's been a while, huh?"

"Sure has! You work with Mabel?"

"Yep! We went to the same college, too, for the same degree and career. Mabel's way better at the whole fashion thing than me, so I just run errands instead of making the clothes. When she asked if I could be her assistant here, I jumped at the chance. I'm doing what I love, still, so I'm happy."

Mabel took the cart and smiled. "Thanks, Gideon. Jill challenged me to make this dress in two days, so it's going to be a long night. You're welcome to stay if you think I'd need anything, but I won't make you."

Gideon smiled, relieved. "Thanks for the offer, but I've got a date tonight."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Say hi to Will for us, okay?"

"Will do. Don't work too hard tonight, alright?"

"I promise I won't. You two go have fun, I'll see you in the morning." She waved Gideon off.

"One moment you two are enemies, fighting over a deed to the Mystery Shack, and the next he's your assistant at a top modeling agency in New York City. My, how time flies."

Mabel laughed, turning back to Jill. "We were kids back then, and now we're in our twenties. God, I remember all of that like it was yesterday."

"I know. Sometimes I miss it. Everything was so much simpler back then." Jill snapped out of it, smiling at Mabel. "Anyway, enough reminiscing- you have a dress to make for me!"