3

Mabel sat cross-legged on her bed at home in California. She breathed deeply with her eyes closed, trying to ground herself. She opened her eyes and looked around, staring at pictures on the wall of her, her friends, and her brother.

She was alone now. Mason was gone on his honeymoon. He was going to finish high school online, since he was now king of the Mindscape. Mabel was all alone.

She forced back tears, quickly looking away from the photos. She managed to stabilize herself before sliding off of her bed and walking downstairs.

The house felt emptier than it had been. Her parents were gone. She'd usually spend the time watching television with Mason, but she couldn't do that anymore. She felt in her back pocket for her phone, before realizing that all of her friends were still out of town, enjoying their summer vacations. Even Gideon was gone, still visiting family in Gravity Falls.

Mabel was utterly. Alone.

She began to panic. At this moment, she realized what Mason had told her, three years ago, about his depression.

"It's like... wanting to do something, but having no energy to do it. It's like feeling alone- utterly alone, with no one around to talk to or even see. Think of an amusement park. You imagine it packed full of people, right? Now imagine you're the only one there. No workers, no vendors, not even a bird in the sky. You get to experience all of the rides, and the food, but you have to do it all by yourself, with no one to laugh or walk around with. There's people standing just outside the locked gates, wishing to come inside and walk and laugh with you, but you can't bring yourself to unlock it. Like I said- utterly alone."

Mabel was beginning to feel that now- the empty amusement park, with only one person to experience it.

She closed her eyes again, leaning against the wall and taking deep, steadying breaths until she calmed down. She opened her eyes again and screamed at the person in front of her, jumping back.

Jill held her hands up. "Woah, calm down! It's just me!"

Mabel steadied herself, placing a hand on her chest. "God, don't do that to me! You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"I'm sorry, I thought you heard me."

"Not this time." Mabel caught her breath, then glared at Jill. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk."

"I have nothing to say to you, so get out-"

Jill sighed, placing a hand on her head. "Mabel, please. I don't want to keep doing this. Just talk with me? Please?"

"Are you finally going to tell me why you stayed away?" Jill was silent. "Then we have nothing to talk about."

"Allen told me about your conversation." Mabel fell silent. "Just..." Jill gestured to the living room. "Sit with me. And talk. Please."

Mabel took a breath, nodding. "Fine. Yes. Okay. Let's talk."