13

A few more days passed. Mabel stayed in the Mindscape to make sure she was safe and back to normal. She and Mason talked often, catching up with each other and what they had missed. Mabel adored being with Cole and Madison, loving them like her own children. Jill, Bill, and Allen made themselves scarce, claiming to be "too busy."

Eventually, Mabel had to go back to New York- she had to finish her project. She said goodbye to everyone, sad to see Jill didn't show up, before Mason took her back to her apartment in the early morning. She looked around her surroundings, finding it exactly how she left it. She got ready for the day, called a taxi, and left for the agency.

She arrived at the tall building, walking in. The receptionist smiled at her. "Miss Pines! Where have you been? We've been worried about our favorite designer."

Mabel smiled back at him. "I've been on personal business. My... twin was really hurt, I had to go visit him. I'm sorry it was short notice."

He nodded. "Alright, well, go on up to the studio. I think Miss Kendra is waiting for you."

Mabel nodded as she walked to the elevator, riding up to the correct floor. She stepped out to the busy studio and walked quickly to her workspace, which was filled with sketches and fabric. She sorted everything out and looked at the mannequin to her right, which was almost empty, except for a sewn-together, lime green sack in the place of a dress. Mabel looked at her desk, staring at the sketch of what the dress was going to be, and realized it was the same ball gown she sketched out four years ago.

"Mabel!"

Mabel jumped, spinning around to face her boss. She wore a smile as she approached Mabel. "There you are! I tried calling you, and you never picked up!"

Mable smiled back. "I'm sorry, Selena. I've been out of state on personal business."

Selena waved it away. "Don't worry about it, you're fine. You haven't missed a day of work since you started here three years ago. You don't need to give me an excuse. But I have good news for you- you have a model now!"

Mabel's expression brightened. "Really?"

"Yep! But that also means your deadline is coming up. One month, and I want it done. Okay?"

Mabel nodded. "Of course, but first I need measurements."

Selena pointed behind her, to a large room. "She's in there. Get to it."

Mabel quickly grabbed a notepad and her tape measure before racing in there, excited to get her project done. She stopped short when she walked in, eyeing the girl sitting in an armchair, wearing only a robe.

"Jill?"

Jill looked over and smiled. "Hey."

"...you're my model?"

"Yep!"

"But, how?"

"The reason I've been working so hard is to get the next month off and spend some real time with you. I looked into it and saw that you needed a model for your upcoming project, so here I am!"

Mabel sighed. She couldn't really argue- she needed a model. "Fine. Okay. I'll take what I can get. Stand up so I can take your measurements."

Mabel took what she needed, marking everything in her notepad. The process didn't take long- she'd done this a million times, working with other models.

When Mabel was done, Jill grinned at her. "Can I see what you have done so far?"

Mabel blushed. "Well, right now the dress is really just a sack. I haven't really gotten a chance to work on it lately."

"How long do you have left?"

"A month, but I could finish it in two days if I really wanted to. I just need coffee and no sleep."

Jill smirked. "Prove it."

Mabel narrowed her eyes, smirking back. "Is that a challenge?"

"Only if you accept."

"What do I get if I do it?"

"Whatever you want. Name it."

Mabel thought for a moment. Then, her smile fell. "...I want a redo."

Jill was silent for a moment. Then, she laughed. Mabel stared at her. "What? What's so funny about wanting a redo of us and wanting to start over?"

Jill calmed down. "Nothing! That's just exactly what I wanted if you didn't do it!"

"Oh." Mabel joined in on the laughter. "I guess either way, we'll both get what we want."

"Seems like it. So. Show me where the magic happens."