7

Mabel didn't know what to do anymore. Her grades were slipping in school. She lost all of her friends. She lost most of her passions. It felt as if her life was falling apart.

Five years had passed at this point. Somehow she passed college, and was now working for a top modeling agency in New York City. She went through each day faking smiles and laughs, continuing her career even through her inability to see most color. The only one she could still see was dark green- the same favorite color of her soulmate.

Until one day. One terrible day, when she woke up in her apartment, alone.

She looked to her right, at her alarm clock, which was screaming at her. She turned the alarm off and sat up, rubbing her eyes. She looked back at the clock, glancing at the time- five in the morning.

Then she realized she couldn't tell the color. It was the same green she could see before- now it was black.

She looked around herself with wide eyes. There was no color left- just bland blacks, grays, and whites.

Mabel's face relaxed. She felt as if she was no longer controlling herself. She tried forcing herself back as she climbed out of bed and got dressed for the day. She couldn't control her legs as she walked outside of her apartment and to the elevator to the ground floor. She couldn't open her mouth to scream at herself to stop as she walked out of the building's front doors.

She couldn't even close her eyes as she walked right into oncoming traffic.

She waited for the impact of a vehicle to hit her, but nothing came. She looked to her left and saw a smashed car, with someone standing in front of it with their arms extended in front of them. The person slowly lowered their arms and turned to look at Mabel.

She recognized her soulmate, but nothing came back to her. She still felt numb, and not in control. She could only stare blankly as Jill stepped in front of her with a worried expression. She could barely hear Jill speak up, shaking her slightly. She barely realized it when Jill teleported them away from NYC and into the Mindscape.