6

Since then, Mabel realized the color dripping out. First it was the lighter shades- peach, yellow, lilac, among a million others- then the darker ones.

But only a month had passed since then. It couldn't be too bad, right?

Mabel had been sitting in her dorm for the past hour, sketching a dress in her sketch pad when she heard a noise. She perked up and paused her music that was playing through her speaker, staring at the guy in front of her.

His back was turned to her, which gave her the chance to look him over. He was wearing a suit, with black dress pants and shoes, a white button-up shirt, and a yellow vest. He had brown hair with blonde highlights, and was cut close to the sides and longer on the top. He wore a top hat, as well, that was black with a yellow ribbon across the brim. Mabel recognized the color scheme anywhere.

"Bill?" She whispered.

The guy turned around, showing his different colored eyes- one was a normal brown one, and the other was yellow. He smiled, something that looked familiar to Mabel.

"Have I really changed that much?" He asked in a soft voice.

Mabel scrambled out of her bed and attacked him with a hug. "Oh my God, Dipper, I didn't even recognize you!" She held him out at arms length. "You've changed so much. I missed you."

Mason took her hands, giggling quietly. "I missed you, too, Mabel."

"Why're you here? You usually just write to me."

Mason sighed, his smile falling. "We know."

Mabel's heart skipped a beat. "Know what?"

"That you and Jill broke up."

Her expression fell. "Right. Of course."

Mason led her to the bed, sitting down gently. "Tell me what happened."

The story quickly spilled out. She told everything to her brother. Mason sat on the bed, not saying a word, until she was finished. "How long has it been since you saw each other?" Mabel muttered quietly. "Mabel?"

"A year and a month." Mabel almost whispered.

Mason jumped. "God, Mabel, why didn't you tell me?"

Mabel winced. "Because you might've told me to go back to her. And I want to, but..."

"...but?" Mason asked.

Mabel looked up at him. "How did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Forgive Bill. And Will, and Jill. How did you just forgive them for leaving us like that?"

Mason gave a small smile. "I didn't for a while. I did kind of snap at them after seeing them again, remember?" Mabel giggled quietly, nodding. "And it wasn't easy. I was still angry at them- I still am, partly. But... I also know- knew- that no matter what, they were still there. They didn't actually leave. And they all told me why- Bill was scared, Will's job became rough and he needed to work a lot more, and Jill was forced to stay because of Bill-"

"That's just it, Dipper." Mabel wrapped her arms around herself. "Jill lied to you. She lied to me. She told me that, too, until... she broke up with me."

"Then why did she stay away?"

Mabel looked away, tears filling her eyes. "She said she didn't want to change me. Make me into a dream demon. She wanted me to stay human."

"Oh." Was all Mason could say.

A few tears fell down Mabel's face. "I wanted to go all the way with her. I wanted to marry her, and complete the bond, and live out my fairytale dreams, because I thought I had finally found my knight in shining armor. And she just turned me down like that."

"Mabel, I-"

"Go. Please. I want to be alone." Mason was silent for a moment before disappearing.

She looked down at her sketchbook, noticing for the first time it's green color. It was a lime green ballgown- something she knew Jill would want to wear.

She slammed the sketchbook closed, fell face-down into her pillow, and sobbed.