10

A couple days passed, and Mabel got better. She was walking around and eating on her own. She no longer tried to hurt herself. Jill kept a very close eye on her, making sure she was safe and healthy. Allen did check-ups every day to look at her progress.

It wasn't until two weeks later when Mabel spoke again. She was sleeping in Jill's room, while she did work nearby at her desk. Mabel jumped awake, and Jill quickly turned over to her.

"Mabel?" Jill asked quietly.

Mabel's head turned, staring at Jill. Her mouth opened to say something, but nothing came out. She paused, licked her lips, and tried again. "How... how did I..."

Jill walked over, keeping her eyes on Mabel. "Are you okay? Hurt, sore, hungry?"

"Answer me. Please."

Jill sighed. "I was only able to see one color. I went to your apartment to see you. I was almost too late. I saw you walk out of the building. You had a... glazed look on your face, like you couldn't control anything you were doing. You walked right into traffic, in front of a transit bus. I ran in front of you and stopped the bus, and brought you here."

Mabel stared at Jill for a long moment. Her eyes filled with tears as she looked at her soulmate. She almost jumped when one fell on her cheek, wiping it away quickly before reaching out and touching the sleeve of Jill's dress.

"It's you're favorite color. The last color I could see. I can see them all, now, after being around you for two weeks-"

"I can, too." Mabel said quietly, smiling. A few more tears fell as she looked around the brightly colored room, decorated in the same greens and purples that they both loved. "I can see it all." She looked back at Jill, wiping her cheeks again. "I can see the colors again."