4

Mabel sat on the couch with a huff, not bothering to look at Jill. The air was filled with silence, neither of them saying a word.

Eventually, Jill broke the silence. "We can't just keep doing this. Talk to me, Mabel."

Mabel finally looked up at her. "I think you're the one who needs to talk. Not me."

"Mabel, I've told you a million times-"

"And every time you have, you lied to me." Jill's eyes lowered to the ground. "I know when you're lying, Jill. You're really bad at it. So stop being afraid and-"

"You're right, Mabel." Jill looked back up, quieting Mabel. "I am afraid. Afraid for you. I know you want to continue our relationship, get married, complete the bond, settle down, and eventually start a family. I'm not saying that I don't want to do all of those things, too- I've dreamed of that since I was a little girl. But..." Jill trailed off, looking for the right words.

"...but? But what? Why are you scared?"

"Because... because doing all of those things together means changing you. Turning you into a dream demon. And I don't want that for you. You deserve to live like a regular human, and that means dying like one. I don't want you to go through the struggle of concealing your powers, and changing, and watching as everyone you know and love dies, while you have to carry on living for all eternity. It's not fair, and I would never wish that upon anyone, especially you."

Mabel was silent for a long moment. "Then why are you here? Why are you trying to patch this up?"

"Because I still love you, and I still care about you. But I just... I don't know what to do anymore. Don't you get it, Mabel? That's why I stayed away."

Mabel looked at her hands, which were laying on her lap. "So... are you saying... we should stop?"

Mabel heard Jill sniff. "I... think so, yes."

Tears filled Mabel's eyes, but she ignored them. "Fine. Okay." Mabel stood up. "Go home, then. Find another soulmate. Goodbye." She quickly ran upstairs to her bedroom before the tears could fall.

Allen's words from yesterday echoed in her head: "The moment you see gray again, you need to worry."

Mabel understood what it meant now.