12

Mabel and Mason were together in Mabel's room, chatting on the floor like they used to do. Mabel was laying on her back, and Mason was sitting against her propped-up legs.

Mabel looked at her twin, glancing at his new features that she didn't catch the last time they saw each other. "So. You changed. A lot."

Mason chuckled. "I'm guessing you couldn't tell last time."

"The color was already disappearing when you came to visit. But honestly, I didn't even notice your eye."

"Well, all dream demons have slits for eyes. Since I was born human, though, one of my eyes stayed normal. The other one is yellow because I'm married to Bill."

"And your hair?"

"That actually didn't change on it's own. Bill convinced me to add them. Cole actually did it. He's enrolled in a cosmetology school in the Mindscape. He's close to graduating, too."

"Good for him. And Madison?"

"Preschool, I guess is what you could call it. Will's teaching her- reading, writing, controlling her powers, that stuff."

"Oh, that's nice." Mabel took a deep breath. "So. Five years, huh?"

Mason smiled. "Yeah. How has it treated you?"

"Good. Finished college, got my degree in design, now I work in New York for a modeling company. I was working on my breakthrough outfit before... well, you know. What about you?"

Mason shrugged. "Same old. Ruling the Mindscape, taking care of the kids, making sure Bill doesn't get in trouble. Life isn't boring, at least. All these balls and dinners and meetings and tours and everything. All the social work they give to me, because I can't really do the big magic yet. I'm not complaining, though- most of the time it's fun, just very, very busy."

"It sounds like it." Mabel smiled at him. "Hey, I think I remember you saying you never wanted kids."

Mason chuckled. "Hey, people change!" He jabbed Mabel, who laughed. "And... well, I guess I just couldn't help myself. I mean, have you met Cole and Madison? They're amazing kids, and I'm so lucky I found them. Madison even calls me "daddy," and Cole thinks of me as his dad. He just doesn't call Bill and I "dad," though, but I understand. He had parents before us, and I don't want to take those memories away from him. Madison, though, we're the only parents she ever really had. They both know we're not their real parents, but they treat us like we are, and we love them like they're our own."

"Very poetic, Dipper."

Mason hummed. "And what about you and Jill?" Mabel's face fell. "Oh come on, please?"

Mabel sighed. "I guess... well, she did legitimately prove to me that she loves me by saving my life. But... what if she's still too scared?"

"I don't think she is anymore, Mabel. She's almost been through what it would be like to ever lose you. She's been through it once, and she doesn't want to go through it again. I just can't believe it's taken her this long to realize it. The question is, though, will you take her back?"

Mason didn't need to hear Mabel's answer- he already knew it.

"Yes."