Just a Bit Morbid

Raven

I'm coming home late tonight. Love you. - Mom

I frowned at my phone before sending a response. That meant I'd be alone in the house tonight. There would be music playing to drown out the quiet.

 I should have expected this - she was enjoying her job at the hospital, and she had warned me from the start that she wouldn't be home often. That's just what happens when you're the best. A victim of her own success.

Though honestly, I think I'm more the victim this time. I glanced up at my history teacher, who was droning on, and over at Johnathan, who was diligently taking notes. I didn't stress it too much. All the power points were supplied ahead of time, and I already had it downloaded. I know he does, too, but he doesn't seem to care. Maybe he likes the writing. If that's even possible.

"For this project, you'll need a partner. I will not be supplying them for you, so make wise choices."

Well. That wasn't on the power point. I scanned the room, dread washing over me. Mark was in this class, so he'd be working with Johnathan. Which left me alone to make new friends. Fun.

I fidgeted with my pencil. Everyone was already trading glances and passing notes, forming partnerships they'd probably established in grade school. But maybe there would be someone to take pity on the new girl.

"Hey." Mark sat on top of my desk, waving Johnathan over. "I've been thinking."

Pulling a chair over, Johnathan sat his notebook down. "That's dangerous."

I laughed, setting my pencil down. I didn't need to distract myself anymore.

"Funny." Mark commented, sticking out his tongue. "Anyway. So, what do you guys think about expanding our friend group a little?"

I shrugged. I could use more friends. But Johnathan didn't look as agreeable. "How do you mean?"

"You know, adding a person or two into the mix. Maybe Becca? We've known her forever?" Ugh. Becca. I kept quiet.

Apparently Johnathan had the same thought. "Are you feeling alright? Becca's a terrible idea."

"What? Why?" Mark pouted, crossing his arms. It looked funny.

"Seriously?" Johnathan crossed his arms, mimicking Mark. "Because Becca is boring. She's rude. She targeted Raven when she got here. She doesn't have a single original thought in her head. Do I need to go on?" He looked at me. "They had a name for her in middle school. Sort of an alliteration thing."

"Okay, okay." Mark held his hands up in surrender. "What about Kenny?" He said it lightly, but he also sounded kind of apprehensive.

I have no idea who Kenny is. I glanced at Johnathan, who nodded to a kid a couple desks over. He was already looking this way. He had brown eyes that I tried hard not to meet, and blond hair. He looked harmless enough.

Johnathan's eyes narrowed a bit as he glanced between Mark and Kenny. "You were never serious about Becca."

Mark slowly shook his head. "No."

Johnathan leaned back. "Not happening."

Mark frowned. "Kenny's cool."

It was Johnathan's turn to shrug. "Then he can be your friend. Or Ravens. Or both. I don't really care. But if this is just another attempt to make me talk to him, it's not going to work."

"Aargh." Mark turned towards me. I shook my head.

"Nope. Don't draw me into this. He likes you. He tolerates me. I have no idea who this Kenny guy is, so no. Your battle, my friend. Your battle."