Need

Johnathan

"What do you need? Just tell me because I can not figure it out." I muttered. The car, which had so helpfully stalled halfway to Kenny's, did not answer.

Not that I was expecting it to.

A car pulled over behind me, slowing to a stop before someone got out. I pressed lock on my keys, keeping Ali inside.

"Hey, Jonah, what's up?" I looked up to see Sara headed towards me.

"The car stopped." I waved under the hood, which I had pulled up. "And I don't know how to fix it."

"Oh." She came over. "I wish I knew how to fix a car. But....I do know that my brother is a mechanic who will fix it cheap."

Sara grinned. "He owes me a favor, so he might even do it for free. I can drop you off somewhere?"

Usually I would decline and politely say I've got it handled. But Ali doesn't need to wait here that long, and I trust Sara. Since I've started working at the diner she's become a good friend.

"That would be great. Thank you." I answered, letting Ali out of the car.

Ali was curious but kept quiet. She didn't know Sara.

"Ali, this is Sara. She's a friend." I told her. "Remember I told you about her?"

Ali smiled and held out her hand. "Yes. It's nice to meet you, Sara. I'm Ali, his favorite sister."

Sara laughed. "I know who you are. You're famous at the diner. Your brother loves you very much, Ali."

Ali grinned. "I know."

They carried on a conversation while I gave directions to Kenny's house. Sara pulled into the driveway, calling out a goodbye as Ali bounced out.

"Thank you, again." I told her. I handed her $10. "For the gas."

"Dude, it probably only cost like 50 cents in gas." Sara told me. "This is what friends are for."

"Then give it to your brother. Just keep it." I replied.

"I'll have to pick you up more often." Sara laughed, taking the money. "Hey, got to ask. I'm not dropping you off with your psycho mom without an escape route, am I?"

I tried not to laugh at her wording. "No, this is a friends house."

I opened my car door, surprised when she did the same.

"I demand a different sort of payment." She told me.

"What's that?" I asked. Coffee, probably. Or chocolate.

"A hug from my friend!" She exclaimed. She put a hand dramatically to her chest. "You wound me, Jonah. You really do."

Laughing, I did as she asked. I tried to pull away after a few seconds, but she wouldn't let go.

"I'm not letting go of you until you promise to never pay me gas money again." Sara explained.

"Right." It's like 50 degrees. No way she'll last long.

I got uncomfortable fast, and she could tell. "Promise, Jonah."

"Fine. Okay. I promise to never give you gas money again." I gave in. She pulled away, laughing.

"Gosh, it's like you grew up never hugging your parents."

It was meant to be a joke, but my breath caught. I hadn't been prepared for that.

Sara looked up and stopped laughing. "Oh, Jonah. I'm sorry, I didn't realize."

I shook it off. "It's all good. I'm good." I took a step back.