Go

Raven

I swung my feet back and forth on the park bench, trying to clear my head.

Sara had been picking Johnathan up all week. Probably driving him home, too. That was just...fun.

And I kept seeing my dad everywhere - on the street, in the store, in crowds. I was getting less sleep, which meant less impulse control, which meant the whole Sara thing bothered me more than it usually would. And I hadn't been able to talk about it, so I had been obsessing.

Kenny had been bugging me all week to just tell Johnathan that it bothered me. But what was I supposed to say? 'Hi Johnathan, sorry I've been distant all week, but only because I've been childishly envious of one of your friends, and oh yeah, I sort of have a huge crush on you. How was work?'

I winced. Yeah, not that. But maybe I should talk to him. I hadn't really had a full conversation with him since I first saw Sara's picture, between me being insecure and him being busy.

I thought about my options. I could mope all weekend, and then go back to school on Monday pretending I was good. That seemed safe. Or I could go talk to Johnathan, at the very least make sure I understand who Sara is.

Bored of feeling dejected, I went with the second option. I can't take another day of this.

I brought out my phone to text Kenny.

You win. Will you drive me to Johnathans?
I'm at the park.

He answered me in less than a minute.

K: Finally! On my way.

I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. What's the worst that could happen?

*****

Johnathan

I couldn't find my phone. It wasn't in my room, it wasn't in my backpack, and it wasn't in Ali's room. I needed it to check with Kenny - he was supposed to be here at one, and it's currently one twenty.

I headed out, grabbing my spare keys in the kitchen before remembering that my car wouldn't be back until tomorrow.

"Going somewhere?"

I spun around at the sound of my mother's voice. I'd been too focused on finding my phone to realize she had come home. "No, ma'am."

"Good. We wouldn't want to waste money on another hospital visit."

My mind went blank, and then haywire. "Um, I'm sorry?"

My mother crossed her arms, swaying slightly. "I heard about your mistake. Stupid, crashing a car. I thought you knew how to drive."

She was slurring her words a little. How much did she drink?

"I wasn't driving the car." I answered carefully.

Her eyes were unfocused as she nodded. "I see. So you just set out to ruin some poor kids life. Probably distracted them with your incessant whining."

I chose not to answer that.

She held up a phone. "And why have you been getting texts from some girl?"

"Is that my phone?" I asked. It was - I recognized my case after a moment.

"It was." My mother shook her head. "I should smash it into tiny bits so that it can't ever call me again."

I shook my head. "I've never called your number." Ever.