The Shallow Airhead

Raven

"Alright. So how are we doing this?" The girl I'd been partnered with, Cameron, continued checking her makeup as she talked. I'm not sure why, it was already perfect.

Then again, maybe she was trying to make up for her outfit. Or lack of. Doesn't this school have a dress code?

I shifted. "Uh, we have to put together a report on one historical event with some sort of visual. The more creative the better."

"Duh. I meant, what event? God, what are you, stupid?" Cameron didn't look up from her mirror. She was now fixing up her lip gloss.

The insult stung a bit, but I didn't snap. "Maybe we could talk about the Amistad?"

"What even is that?" Cameron asked. She traded lip gloss for mascara, shaking her head. "No, we should do something simple that people actually know about."

I suddenly imagined the mascara as a small sword, provided in a time of need to slay the witch.

"What's the point in telling them about something they know about?" I asked. She rolled her eyes. "Okay. I guess we could do the civil war?"

"Fine. You take notes over there, and I'll take notes over here, and we can combine them in 15 minutes." She finally put the mascara down, typing on her phone.

"Yes, your majesty." I mumbled. She either didn't hear or didn't care.

I moved back to my desk, pulling up google on my own phone. 15 minutes wasn't a lot of time, so I should probably write quickly. I did my best to find interesting facts, figuring Cameron would probably stick to the main story. Basic people tend to write basic things.

I handed her my notes as I returned to the table. She took them and slid hers over. They were written in pristine cursive, the kind I could never pull off.

 They were written in pristine cursive, the kind I could never pull off

I frowned. I'm not an expert or anything, but that didn't sound right at all. The next few sentences were just as wrong.

"Uh, Cameron?"

She sighed. "Yes?" I don't think she even bothered to look at my notes.

"These aren't right. Actually, they're completely wrong." She looked up then, snatching back her notes with a perfectly manicured hand. 

"They are not. What would you know? I bet yours aren't any better." She picked mine up and started to look them over.

At least mine are accurate. My anxiety shot up when Cameron started laughing.

"I was right. You can't even spell." She waved my paper in front of me. "This is a mess. My paper is perfect compared to this."

"Yeah, perfectly wrong." I shot back. I probably did make a lot of mistakes. Sue me, I was in a hurry.