Interesting Company

Johnathan

I paced around the park, waiting for Mark and Raven to show up. Eventually I sat down on a bench, resorting to people-watching.

I saw Mark and started to call out, stopping short when I saw the others. I could see Raven's red jacket and dark hair.

And Kenny, with his hoodie zipped and his head down, like he was hiding.

I really don't need this today.

I stood up, walking in the other direction. I could play this off. My phone dinged, and I checked it as I walked. We're here. Mark.

I mumbled under my breath as I typed back. I know. I was across the park at this point. Interesting company.

I could see Mark look, up, scanning the park. He wouldn't see me - he had always been terrible at I spy. I could see him turn to Raven and say something before walking off. Unfortunately in my direction.

It didn't take long for him to figure it out. I crossed my arms as he walked over.

"Jonah. Come on." He leaned against a slide.

"Not today. Mark, really not today." I sounded tired. I sort of felt tired. Tired of arguing.

"He won't start anything." Mark held up his hand. "Scouts honor. And the minute you don't want to be there, you can leave. I'll even help."

I already didn't want to be there. But I was painfully aware that Raven was currently alone with Kenny. "Fine."

I tried not to look tense as we approached Raven and Kenny. One new and one former friend.

"Hey." Raven smiled as we walked up, but it seemed a little forced. "You look tired. Not in a bad way, I mean you just look like a normally tired person would look after a perfectly normally tiring day." She was blushing now. She usually was. "Not that you don't have every right to be tired. I mean, what I mean is, uh, it's good to - hi."

I tried not to laugh. "Hi, Raven." I nodded towards the new addition. "Kenneth."

He surveyed me. We both knew he hated his full name, but he seemed more wary than irritated at the jab. "Hey, Jonah."

Mark shot me a pleading look. He wanted this to work. "So, ready for food? We brought lots."

I sat down next to Raven. She seemed nervous. "Sure. What do you have?"

He started passing out food, and it went on from there. Mostly Kenny and I stayed quiet. Mark told stories and kept the conversation going, with help from Raven. I looked up every once in a while to nod or take a drink. Sometimes I watched Raven fidget. She seemed upset, not really eating and only echoing Marks stories. Something was definitely bothering her.

After a while even Mark was having trouble ignoring the tension. I was tense from the scene at the house yesterday, combined with the fact my former friend was watching me like I was going to pull out a knife. Kenny radiated tension as he tried to subtly keep track of me. Raven was apparently very stressed out and was fidgeting with anything and everything, talking faster than before. Mark was trying his best, but he was having a hard time of it.

I decided I'd had enough when Mark started repeating himself and Raven started rocking back and forth slightly, slowly clapping her hands.

"So," I broke in, reaching over and grabbing Ravens hand. "What have you been doing lately?" I had directed it at Kenny.

He looked sort of shocked - I'd been basically ignoring him the whole time. "Me?"

I chose an amused tone. "Yes." I glanced around. Mark looked relieved but on edge. Raven was killing the circulation in my hand but she had stopped rocking.

"Not much." Kenny talked slow, like he was waiting for the catch. "School. Home. You know."

I nodded. "How's Kate?"

"She's good. Doing good in school. She got invited to this sleepover yesterday." Kenny ran his hand through the grass. It was a nervous tick he'd had since kindergarten.

"Ali went to one, too. Maybe it's the same." I wasn't sure how I felt about that, but Kate was a good kid. Or she had been when I knew her. She'd been like family, not so long ago.

"Maybe." He seemed to hesitate. "She misses you."

I shrugged. "Maybe she can come over some time." It wouldn't happen.

"That would be great." Kenny sounded sincere, but he knew my thought process. He glanced at Mark, then at Raven, then back to me. I nodded.

And just like that, we were in sync. It's funny how old friends can do that, even if you don't talk anymore.

"Remember when she dumped paint all over the kitchen?" It was an opening.

I wanted to say no. To lie and say I had no fond memories of his sister. But Mark might explode. And Raven was worrying me right now.

I could pretend, for them. "Yeah. Your mom thought someone had been murdered, the whole room was streaked in red."

Raven was hooked. "Wait, really?"

Kenny nodded. "Yeah. The paint bucket had been on top of the fridge. A huge five gallon bucket, and Kate tried to pull it down."

"Oh." Raven smiled. "I did something similar with black paint and a porch."

Kenny laughed. "I bet your parents were furious."

Ravens hand tightened on mine again. I don't think she noticed. "Yeah. I was about eight."

The conversation went smoother after that, and I could see Mark slowly relaxing. Kenny didn't really - he knew it was all an act. A temporary truce.

It was harder than I thought it would be. It hurt to talk to him, remembering our last conversation.

Raven seemed to fluctuate, getting nervous every once in a while. She still had my hand. I had long since decided I didn't mind.

"It's getting late. Dad needs me back." Mark eventually said, checking his phone.

Kenny nodded. "Yeah, I should get back too. Can I catch a ride?"

Mark nodded. "Yup. Raven?"

Raven was quiet. "I think I'll stay a while. Mom can pick me up later."

I noticed she didn't sound completely sure about that. "I'll see you later."

Mark and Kenny headed off, leaving me to study Raven. She was looking down, her free hand messing with the grass around her. But she was quiet. No humming, no tapping.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. She nodded, then shook her head. Well, that was decisive.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Her dark eyes met mine. The skin underneath was slightly purple. "It wouldn't matter."

I shrugged. "Maybe not. But maybe it would." I kept my eyes on hers, hoping I could get through.

Eventually she looked away, looked back down. Warning bells went off in my head.

"Come on." I stood up, pulling her with me. "Let's walk around a bit."

She followed, but she didn't say much. Eventually we reached a trail I used to like running around on as a kid. Now I went here to think.

"Wait." She tugged me back. "You know where this goes, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I've had it memorized for years."

Raven still seemed hesitant, and I wasn't going to push her. "We can just go somewhere else." I suggested.

"No." She took a breath, in and out. "No, I trust you."

I didn't know what to do with that, so I just nodded.

"Come on." I led her down the trail, hoping it would help her sort out whatever was going on in her head.

It usually did for me.