Memory

Raven

I stared hopelessly at my English essay, hoping that by some miracle mom would come home early to be my English superhero.

There were red lines, which were some how supposed to be helpful, but it was all giving me a headache. 

It's happening. I'm going to fail English class. I'm going to officially, on paper, be a failure.

I jumped at the sound of my ringtone, answering without looking at the screen. "Hello?"

"Raven?" a little girls voice came over the line.

"Yes? Who is this?" Too late, I checked the caller ID to see an unknown number.

"It's me, silly. Ali." Oh. Johnathans sister.

"Hi, Ali. What's up?" This is normal. I'm just casually talking to a fifth grader on a Wednesday afternoon.

"Can Jonah and I please come over? Mom's yelling again." Ali sounded hopeful, and it made me smile until her words registered.

"Why is she yelling? Ali, where is your brother?" This had to be Johnathan's phone she was using. "And how did you get my number?"

"He's in the bad room with mom. Mark gave me your number yesterday." I heard a small crash. "Oops. Can I come over, and Jonah?"

What was the crash?

"Sure. Can Johnathan drive you over?" This was not how I pictured my afternoon going.

"I think so. Thanks, Raven!" She hung up, leaving me to stare at my contacts list as I tried to process the last two minutes.

At least I was sort of prepared when I heard a car pulling into the driveway fifteen minutes later. I went to open the door, but paused when I heard their voices.

"Ali, hold on. Why are we here?"

"Don't you want to be?" I heard Ali chirp. There were three quick knocks.

I opened the door to see a beaming Ali and an irritated Johnathan. "Hey."

Ali's hair was braided back as usual, and she had a cute pink dress on with some slightly dangerous looking boots. Johnathan looked the same he had at school that day - jeans, collared t-shirt, black hoodie.

"Hey." Johnathan answered. We hadn't really talked since he drove me home last weekend. His posture was all different, though - he seemed almost like he was bracing himself.

"Hi Raven! Thank you for inviting us!" Ali bounced in, giving me a hug. "I like your house better."

"You're....welcome?" I tried to keep up. "Why is that again- your mom was yelling? Why was she yelling?"

Ali's brown eyes met mine. "Because she hates us." She answered me very matter-of-fact, and then brightened. "Can I play with the toys?"

I nodded, knowing she had found the stash of toys mom kept in the spare room last time, and she ran off.

Then I looked back at Johnathan. He looked a little stunned, which is about how I felt. 

"I..uh, she didn't.. um. I would've called back, to cancel what she....she deleted the call log, and I didn't have your number...it would be rude to just not show up, I don't know what she..I don't know what she said on the phone..um." Johnathan seemed to be at a loss. "I'm sorry. We shouldn't even be here."

"No- it's all good." I told him. I stepped back a little so he could walk in, though he looked more likely to bolt. I don't think I'd ever seen him this flustered.