Can You Read?

Raven

I tripped on the stairs of the bus, catching myself on the railing at the last minute. Mrs. Lian laughed softly, making me blush.

At least I've amused the bus driver.

On the bus yet?

I smiled as Johnathans text came through, typing carefully.

Yes. Almost died on the steps.

I pressed send and leaned back in my seat, staring out the window.

I'm not surprised.

I laughed at his response, causing the girl across the aisle to look at me. Her eyes widened and she turned to her phone before leaning over the seat in front of her.

Okay. Odd. I shook it off, turning back to my phone.

How's Ali today? Did she sleep?

Johnathan had mentioned that Ali wasn't sleeping well lately. I learned from Mark that Johnathan stays up with her when he can. Which is really sweet, and at this point not so surprising.

Not really. It took forever but I got her down at 3. Any longer and I would have lost my voice.

That confused me for a second until I realized that he had probably been reading to her.

What book were you reading?

It took longer for him to respond this time.

Actually I wasn't reading.
Hey, I can see your bus.

The change in subject was a little suspicious, but I forgot all about it when I looked up to grab my bag.

Because everyone was looking at me. 

Okay, maybe not everyone. But more people than usual. Way more than usual. The blonde girl two seats ahead was practically shooting lasers at me.

I tried to shake it off as I got off the bus, walking towards our usual meeting spot. Johnathan was leaning against the wall but stood up when he saw me. His smile fell as he looked me over. Was it that obvious?

"What is it?" He scanned me up and down, probably to see if I was limping.

To be fair, I am about half the time. "Nothing, I'm just paranoid." I told him. 

"You're not the only one." Mark muttered. I turned towards him.

"What?" 

Mark smiled, all innocence. "Nothing, Raven." He pointedly glanced at Johnathan. "Nothing at all."

"Don't worry about him." Kenny jumped in at Mark's expense. "He's just jealous that Jonah's paying you more attention than him."

"That's not true." Mark denied it with wide eyes. "Raven, no. Don't believe a word of that."

"It's too late." Kenny declared. "The truth has been revealed! Everyone please bow to Mark, the mightily jealous!"

"Keep your voice down." Mark hissed, turning red. People were turning as Kenny raised his voice. And his hands, actually, high into the air.

"Raven knows what I'm talking about. Isn't that right?" Kenny turned towards me, grinning. I don't really know much about Kenny, but from what I've seen he likes to make people laugh. So any response I give will inevitably end up as part of a joke.

"Hmm," I started. Mark shook his head over and over.

"Don't encourage him." he pleaded, blue eyes wide.