Ask Your Questions

Johnathan

Raven caught up to me as I walked through the parking lot. "Johnathan!" She was running, her bag bouncing on her back.

I sort of held my breath until she shifted to a walk, some part of my brain preparing to steady her if she tripped.

"Hey." I greeted her. I didn't look at her, exactly. I kept walking. Less is more.

"I wanted to talk to you." She said. Her posture was almost tense, everything about it saying that she was determined to have this conversation.

"Mark mentioned that. I have to pick up Ali, though." My phone buzzed.

Hey, I'm picking up Kate today so I figure I'll get Ali too and take them out to get ice cream. Thoughts?

Oh yeah and this is Kenny. New phone.

I frowned but sent the okay, knowing Ali would call me to double check when he got there. She's smart like that.

Have fun with your girlfriend. :)

I shook my head at the last text. Of course he knew she had found me. Speaking of.

"Apparently, I was misinformed." I told her. "Where do you want to go?"

Raven shrugged. "Anywhere."

I circled back to put my bag in Kenny's car, shutting the door. He would give it back later. I reached out and picked Ravens up off the ground where she'd left it.

"Hey, wait." she protested. "That's mine."

"I solemnly swear to give it back." I answered, walking towards main street. She huffed but followed.

Good thing, too, or I'd be forced to do all her homework. "So," I started. "What did you want to talk about?" I kept my tone light and even. I was prepared to answer whatever she came up with.

"You're doing it again." Raven sounded a little exasperated.

"Doing what? You'll have to be a bit more specific."

"Censoring. You're too calm."

"Would you like me to be angry? Sad? Happy?" I did a little bow. "Your wish is my command."

She was turning red. It was so easy to get her to blush. "Stop it. I don't want you to be anything."

"That might be difficult." I was stalling, and we both knew it.

"Johnathan, please?" She seemed to put every emotion in the world into her voice. It made my pulse go a little faster.

In my head I told myself that it wasn't that I couldn't say no to her. There was just logically no point - she would just keep asking. Or leave.

I sighed, but pretty much resigned myself to the conversation. "Ask." She looked startled. "Ask your questions. I'll answer what I can."

"Thank you." Raven seemed to consider her next words carefully. "Are we friends?"

I'd asked her the same question not too long ago. "Well, I think so."

She smiled at the symmetry before continuing. "And friends trust each other, right?"

I nodded. "I believe that's how it works."

"Good. 'Cause I want you to know that you can trust me." She put a hand on my arm to stop me. I turned towards her, a little curious and a lot conflicted. "If you talk, I'll listen."

She looked at me like I had all the answers. Like I knew something she didn't. But I didn't have any good answers. All of mine were tainted with alcohol and insults.