No more random laughing, got it.

Johnathan

I think my watch is broken. It's going too slow.

 I swear, I am so done with today and we haven't made it to the cafeteria yet. And I still have the tag-along that Mark handed over on Monday. Not that it's her fault, but still. It's been four class periods and in every single one she is tapping, or humming, or swinging her feet. It's like she can't stand the quiet.

Now we are off to lunch, the loudest place in school. I'm sure she'll feel right at home.

Don't get me wrong, okay, she seems nice enough. I have nothing against her. But my day is a series of quiet classes and typically I'm not forced to interact much. It's better that way. The only person I consistently talk to is Mark, and he's been around long enough to know why.

This continuous need she has for noise is going to drive me insane. And it's only been a week.

Walking in, Mark is already sitting at our usual table. He smiles when he sees us, and calls out.

"Hey, guys. Over here."

Yes, Mark. I know how to walk across the room, thanks.

We sat down and he immediately began talking. Thankfully, Raven answered him, giving me a break for a while. I rested my head on my hand, hoping this headache that had been threatening to get worse all day would back off. 

My mother had been home before me yesterday, which never ends well, and Ali had been up all night sick. I wasn't sure she would be able to go to school today, but she made it. Now I just wanted rest. And quiet.

I had almost managed to fall asleep when my dearest best friend decided I had been resting long enough.

"Jonah!" I brought my head up, tuning back into the world. 

The exceptionally loud, bright world that is currently killing my head.

Blinking, I focused in on Mark. "What?"

"How are you getting home today?" he asked, glancing at Raven. It took me a minute to figure out why he was asking - he already knew how I got home, I got a ride with - 

Oh, right. He had to stay after today.

I nodded, letting him know I understood. "I was thinking I'd walk, maybe take Ali to the park."

"Right, that works. Hey, did you know there's a pep rally next Friday?" He had caught me by surprise on that one, and from her expression, Raven hadn't known either.

Then again, Raven hadn't known where to find the cafeteria.

She spoke up now, though there was a noticeable lack of tapping or fidgeting. "What happens at a pep rally?" I'm not sure why she would ask, aren't pep rallies the same at every school? I shot a look at Mark. Our silent conversation consisted of:

Mark: Is she for real?

Me: Yup, pretty sure.

Mark answered her, though I knew he was a little confused too. "Uh, well, there's screaming and cheering and the football team runs around. There's a speech from the vice principal and the grade that yells the loudest gets an over sized Popsicle stick with the words "School Spirit Champions" in bold." It was a very matter of fact explanation for Mark. Usually he adds extra information he considers necessary, but he isn't very fond of pep rallies. He only goes to them because his girlfriend is on the cheer team. And I only go because he needs someone to talk to while he's suffering. I wonder if Raven likes pep rallies. Of course, as she did just ask how they worked, it's possible she's never even been to one. I turned towards her, observing her reaction. I've found that while she makes more noise than necessary, her reactions sort of make up for it. She gets flustered easily. Like, really easily.

She seemed to be processing the information. "That sounds... uh, that sounds fun." She nodded to herself, like she had just answered a question. She also sounded like she would rather do anything but go to that pep rally.

I could be wrong, but I think someone talks to herself.

I started to laugh, imagining Raven walking around talking to the walls. And quickly stopped, because Mark was looking at me like my hair had just turned blue. I cleared my throat, refocusing on the conversation. No more random laughing, got it.

"Dude, are you okay?" Please. It didn't warrant that much concern. I nodded to him, answering his question as the bell to end lunch rang. Raven seemed distracted, and tripped over the bench, dropping her bookbag and spilling water everywhere. 

"Oh." She said, standing there. Because that would solve everything. God.

I picked up the water, setting it on the table, before grabbing her bookbag, shoving all the books back inside. Seeing that she was still impersonating a statue, I slung it over one shoulder and started walking. "Come on."

I let the janitor know on the way out, so that he wouldn't find out on his own. Maybe eliminate the possibility of slipping.

Raven ran into the side of the door on the way out, and I tried my best not to laugh.

Three more classes today, and soon a pep rally that just might be interesting for once.