chapter three | 𝒃𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

As you arrived at the fireplace with Newt and Minho on your side, other boys lit up the huge pile of branches and sticks. Each of them had a torch in one of their hands and on Albys sign, everyone threw the torch into the pile of wood. You stood there in awe, the flames seemed to touch the dark sky and the heat hit your face, as soon as the torches were thrown and the fire began to rise. "Pretty impressive, isn't it?" Minho asked with a smirk, he seemed to notice your fascination for the scene, which had just played in front of you. You didn't turn your gaze from the fire and only nodded as an answer for Minho's question.

 You didn't turn your gaze from the fire and only nodded as an answer for Minho's question

"Well Greenie, make yourself at home. I'm gonna be right back... I just need to talk to Alby real quick, is that okay?" Newt asked, while putting his hand on your shoulder. "Of course! Don't worry about me", you said with an eye-closed smile. Newt nodded and headed for the other side of the fireplace and away from you and Minho, who turned his full body to you "I also need to talk to some of the Runners, sorry for leaving so quick", "Don't worry about me, Minho. If I may ask, why do you need to talk to the Runners?" you now also turned your body to face Minhos. He chuckled "I'm the Keeper of the Runners after all" he pointed on himself.

"Oh I had no idea. So you're a Keeper and Newts the second in command" you mumbled, but Minho still heard your words and smirked again "Yeah, seems like you kinda hang out with the celebrities of the Glade". You slightly rolled your eyes with a small smile "My definition of celebrities seems to be different than yours" you tried to make a comeback, but stood no chance against Minho: "Well, your stares seemed to prove that I atleast look like one". You wanted to defend yourself, but before you could even start he made a small salute and went to the other Runners. If you thought about it, you didn't even know what you should have said.

But you didn't want to worry about it too much, after all you would have just made it worse, so you started to look around the fireplace. There were boys wrestling, dancing or eating. A dark skinned boy gave everyone who wanted to a bowl of soup - but you weren't hungry. You started to wander around the fireplace. Some boys held up glasses with a strange liquid and cheered, others just sat and talked. Some boys didn't even notice you, as they were busy with their glasses of liquid, you guessed it was alcohol, as a strong smell came from the boys, most boys on the other hand were staring at you. You felt so out of place, and weren't ready to start a conversation with anyone. Most of the boys looked at you in interest, others as if you just murdered someone and some just with a look of confusion.

You felt so uncomfortable with everyone staring at you, that you decided to just sit down. You sat down in front of a log and leaned your back against it. After you sat down, many of the boys turned their attention away from you and to whatever they were doing. But one boy kept looking at you. He stood with the group of Runners Minho were talking to, but because of the casted shadows from the bonfire, you couldn't recognize him. You nearly didn't notice he was smiling at you, but you quickly smiled back, before he turned his attention back to the Keeper of the Runners.