chapter thirteen | 𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒆

It has been a few days after Newt has told you about his past. At first you were worried it might change things between the two of you, but to your pleasant surprise it actually strengthened the bond of you. You felt more close to Newt than ever and were grateful for his trust in you, it motivated you even more to be the best version of yourself. The thought that people trusted you, relied on you and made you feel at home gave you a huge confidence-boost. Not only Newt, but also Hank, Leo and especially Minho gave you a feeling of safety and affiliation.

But not only your "human-friends" made your time in the Glade as wonderful as even possible, Peony also did her part. Since you've named the little lamb you felt somehow connected to her, as if it was your responsibility to care for her, what you enjoyed doing! Watching her grow and boss the other sheep and goats around gave you something to look forward to. Watching her grow up gave you some sense of time and it reminded you that things are changing, even if sometimes the world seems to stand still.

Speaking of Peony, right now you were combing her soft, white locks with a rather old wooden hairbrush, but it still was good enough to remove knots. While you cared for her fur the little lamb laid in your lap while your legs remained crossed, both of you sat under a big oak tree on the dry grass. Moments like this were peaceful as if there was no need to worry for anything in the world, you felt the wind on your skin and smelled Frypans cooking in the distance. Dinner was about to be served and Clint allowed you to finish at work a little bit earlier, so you decided to wait for Minho to come back from the maze and to pass time until then, caring for Peony.

It kind of became a ritual that you'd wait for Minho to come back, you didn't even go to dinner until he was back. Maybe it was just the fear that something bad might happen again like the last time, where both Minho and you nearly got trapped in the maze, or maybe it was the fact that you were pretty excited each time you got to see him... either way, both you and Minho seemed to quite like this little tradition or ritual.

Suddenly Peony jumped up and ran back to the herd as you were about to untangle another knot

Suddenly Peony jumped up and ran back to the herd as you were about to untangle another knot. For a second you were afraid you might have hurt her, but as you saw a shadow approaching on your right side, it was pretty obvious that the lamb got scared by the person walking towards you. You turned your head to see the person who was coming, you were expecting Newt, but to your surprise the face of Leo greeted you. A little bit of dirt covered the bridge of his nose, which caused his eyes to appear even greener than they already were.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't want to scare the lamb" Leo apologized and seemed contrite or nervous? You couldn't really tell. "It's okay, don't worry! I was about to finish combing her anyway... her name is Peony" you said and introduced Peony, Leo answered with a acknowledging nod. While still looking up to Leo who kept his gaze on Peony, "have a seat" you continued and patted the space beside you. Leo slowly sat down, but still didn't dare to look into your eyes. You were well aware that Leo was shy, but he never avoided your eyes. Quite the reverse! Sometimes you had the feeling he especially searched for your eyes or always tried to catch a glimpse of you.