chapter fifteen | 𝒐𝒏𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒕

Since the incident with Dave and Minho, you haven't seen Dave in a while. The next day you entered the med hut, he was already gone and Clint told you that he had left right after the sun rose. You felt bad, Minho really seemed to have scared him off and you felt the need to apologize. You hoped you would see him in the Glade once in a while, but now days have passed without any sign of Dave. You should be mad at Minho, but somehow you were also flattered by his actions, nevertheless you wished that the day never happened. You felt like you've lost a potential friend in Dave.

Right now you sat at a table with Newt, Minho and Leo, eating dinner. Today, Frypan really outdone himself! He made Green Borscht, a classic ukrainian soup made with carrots, potatoes, spinach, zucchini and hard boiled eggs. A rich dish every Glader seemed to enjoy, well except one. Gally was walking towards your table with big steps and as soon as your eyes met, his already stern facial expression turned into an annoyed frown. You still haven't figured out why he disliked you so much, but gave him a smile as he sat down.

Gally looked at each one of you and as everyone was eating, he also took his spoon and tasted the hot soup. Immediately after he swallowed the liquid, he put his spoon down with a grown. "Are you okay? You sound like a dying bear" Minho asked without looking up from his bowl. "Y/n, have you been helping Frypan with cooking again?" Gally asked you and ignored Minhos question, "Pardon?" you asked, not understanding the question. "It taste like klunk." Gally stated and pointed at the soup with his spoon.

"Well then you need to thank Frypan, Y/n was with us all the time" Minho defended you and finally looked up. "Her knight in shining armour I see" Gally raised an eyebrow at Minho, "If karma doesn't hit you, I gladly will" Minho answered. Gally was about to protest, but Newt interrupted, before other remarks had the chance to fly over the table, "I think you two shanks really should learn to shut up sometimes". Newt knew how you hated it when a fight was started because of you, it always made you uncomfortable. So you took Newt's hand under the table and mumbled a thank you.

You didn't need Minho to protect you and you knew that you could handle Gallys remarks fine on your own. It indeed made you uncomfortable that your friends always jumped in to fight for you, you felt like you were using them to get out of unpleasant situations. Since your arrival, you were certain that you evolved, you were no damsel in distress and wanted to prove that you could handle things on your own, especially to Minho and Newt. Both always had protected you, but you wanted to show what you were capable of.

As all of you continued eating, you suddenly saw something you had wished for the past days. Dave was approaching your table and smiling at you, limping a little bit with his sprained leg but it seemed like he was able to walk without too much pain. You started to smile back and gave him a little wave as a greeting. Since the other boys at your table noticed your waving they turned to the direction of Dave, curious who you were greeting. Minho exhaled loudly as he recognized Dave, showing his annoyance.

Dave came to a halt in front of your table, "Hey guys" he greeted the group. Newt gave him a smile, Gally shortly waved at him, but Minho just stared at the boy. "Hi Dave" Leo answered and moved aside on the bench he was sitting on to make space for Dave. Dave noticed that, but declined "Thank you Leo, but there is no need to... I just wanted to thank Y/n real quick" he explained and turned his gaze towards you. "You want to thank me? For what?" you asked with an awkward chuckle. "For helping me with my leg" he started and gestured down to his leg, "This castor oil thing really helped and I was able to walk the next day. I just never really got the chance to thank you"

"Oh you're welcome! I appreciate it, but you don't need to thank me, it's my job after all" you assured him with a smile, "you even remembered that I used castor oil" you let out a small laugh. "Of course I remember-" Dave started but suddenly got nervous, as if he had noticed something, you noticed his gaze shifting to Minho who sat across from you. Minho held a grim, sceptical facial expression just like you would look at someone who insulted you. "Uhm, I should get going" Dave excused himself with a trembling voice, turned around and went back to the table he had been coming from, you and Leo gave him a small wave.