chapter twenty | 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚

The bonfire was lit. The thick smoke made its way to the sky where it dissolved into small clouds. The clouds flew up to the sky, so high that they could easily fly over the huge walls of the maze, but right before they overcame a wall, they would vanish in the cool night air. Maybe it was just like with dreams? Maybe we let go too soon and 'forget' a dream right before we achieve it - so we always stay behind large walls and do not allow our dreams to fly higher than our comfort zone, which is the Glade. Which is all we ever knew.

With a small smile on your lips you walked over to the fireplace. With every step you took, you felt the heat of the fire burning on your cheeks more and more. The further you approached the fireplace, the more excited you got. The bonfire night was something out of the ordinary, a short escape out of everyday life. The boys already danced around the huge fire, or sat on tree trunks, drinking Gally's mixture. You've never tried it, but according to the smell and how some Gladers act after drinking, you're really not missing out.

You saw Minho talking to some Gladers and Newt sitting with the new Greenie, it seemed like he was explaining something to him. As you allowed your gaze to wander over the place, you noticed Leo carelessly talking to some other boys while gesturing heavily with his arms. It was out of character for him to act so extroverted, so you assumed that he already had a sip or two. You smiled to yourself, somehow it made you happy seeing Leo talking with confidence. He was such a wonderful person, but you felt like he would always underestimate himself and not see his worth and beauty as a person.

Suddenly someone pushed you forwards with such force that you tumbled a few steps, nearly falling over. After you regained your balance, you turned around to see which shank was 'oh so funny', only to see a grinning Hank. He had his eyes closed and leaned his upper body a bit forwards so that he was on your eye level. "You're an idiot, Hank" you laughed and playfully slapped his upper arm. "What are you dreaming about?" Hank asked after he straightened his back and stood upright.

"Nothing in particular, I was just asking myself why some Gladers have the humour of a three year old." You crossed your arms in front of your chest and raised an eyebrow, but still smiling at your best friend. "I know right? Chuck really needs to grow up" he also crossed his arms and imitated your tone of speaking. "He's still more mature than you" you rolled your eyes and chuckled, suddenly you remembered that you wanted to talk to Hank anyway, even if he was 'less mature than Chuck', you still hoped for some advice "Hank, can I talk to you?".

You and Hank found a place on a log, a little bit more offsite of the fire and the crowd so there was a smaller chance someone could be eavesdropping. "Okay, so what do you wanna talk about?" Hank asked after sitting down and turned his face to look at you. "Okay, first I want you to promise me that you're not gonna tell anyone what I'm about to tell you" you said in a serious tone, while looking him straight in the eyes. "Oh god, have you killed someone?" Hank questioned ironically.

"Please just promise me" you asked again, this time a little more desperate. "Okay, okay, I promise that I'm not going to tell anyone - happy?" he promised you with a small groan, feeling a little bit hurt that you're not trusting him in the first place, but this topic was way too personal for you to take a risk, since you've never talked to someone about it. "Thank you, Hank. I really appreciate it." you assured him and gave him a grateful smile. "Yeah, no worries" he brushed it off "So what do you want to talk about, since it's so important and confidential?"

You took a deep breath, trying to find the right words without giving away too much. "So, Hank... what would you do if there was... an important decision, but your heart is not sure which option is right?" you asked in an uncertain tone. "What kind of decision?" Hank asked further, clearly thinking about your question. Because even though he could be a clown with mood swings sometimes, he would always know when he had to be serious. "It's hard to explain. Well, it's rather emotional than rational" you explained, still trying not to give away too much.