chapter thirty-three | 𝑾𝑰𝑪𝑲𝑬𝑫 𝒊𝒔 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅

Newt has put his hands on your upper arms and stood close behind you. Whenever you took a deep breath your back touched his chest. You had stopped fighting against his grip and now he slowly guided you through the tunnel. Everyone was silent, all which was able to hear were your quiet wimpers. Your cheeks were wet and your throat hurt from all the screaming, however the pain in your chest was way more painful and let any other physical pain fade into the background. You felt like you would break down if Newt wouldn't stand behind you.

Then you saw a strange light coming from the front, Teresa had been able to open the second door and the group entered one after another, Newt never letting you go. You entered a dark hallway, all of the sudden the lights turned on, leading to the end of the corridor. You all walked down the hallway until you came to a door with an EXIT-sign on top of it. "Seriously?" Frypan scoffed, you just looked up. Somehow you didn't feel any excitement, just the emptiness pounding at the walls of your heart. Without Hank it didn't feel right to leave the maze. But you needed to continue, otherwise he died for nothing.

Minho turned the handle and everyone walked through the door. After you also entered, you saw a huge lab, illuminated by blue and red lights. The lights were similar to the ones in your dreams and if you wouldn't have felt the warmth of Newt's hands on your arms, you probably would have thought that you actually are dreaming. But this was reality. You were actually about to leave the maze, Hank actually died, the Glade was actually destroyed and everything was actually in shatters.

You looked around some more and spotted bodies of doctors lying all over the floor

You looked around some more and spotted bodies of doctors lying all over the floor. You gulped and alongside the pain in your chest, you felt a sickness coming up from down your stomach. Has anyone ever died of a broken heart? Newt seemed to notice how your whole body started to go tense and quickly guided you away from the massacre, walking you deeper into the laboratory. Electricity was sparking from the ceiling, everything was destroyed and only the blue lights of the big screens left the impression that this lab was once very important. Everyone went separate ways to observe the lab even more. Thomas walked to one of the computers and stopped right in front of it. He and Teresa exchanged looks before he pressed a red button.

Suddenly one of the screens turned on, revealing a middle aged woman in a lab coat. Her blonde hair was neatly tied back and her straight lips were highlighted by a deep red lipstick. She held a worried facial expression and seemed to sit in the same laboratory you were in right now. A coldness creeped up from your feet into your whole body, she looked like a nice person, but somehow you had a bad feeling looking at her. Newt seemed to feel the same as he gripped your arms even tighter. All the other ones held their breath as the woman started to speak.

"Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige" the woman introduced herself "I'm director of operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you. But circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened." Angry? Angry did not even nearly describe what you were feeling right now. You breathed out bitterly, which caused Newt to squeeze your arms and Leo to turn to look at you, but he quickly turned back as Ava continued to speak.