chapter twenty-three | 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒚

To get your mind off some things, especially the new girl, you've decided that it would be a good idea to talk to someone who is completely uninvolved. And that one would be Thomas. You two met up in the middle of the Glade after he had breakfast with Chuck. You were happy to see him, as you were able to talk to him about irrelevant things without needing to worry. In the past you've really occupied yourself with heavy thoughts and conversations, you felt like your mind eventually would have exploded like a balloon with all the unfounded worries circulating in your head.

Thomas approached you with a glowing smile on his face and you couldn't help but smile back - Yes, talking to Thomas would definitely do you good. Nonetheless you wondered if Thomas really didn't know that girl or if he was just pretending. "What's up herb-girl?" Thomas greeted you as he came to a halt in front of you. You crossed your arms in front of your chest and raised an eyebrow "Herb-girl? So that's what you're calling me now?". Thomas started to step from one foot to the other "Well... I've heard about your herb-knowledge" he explained.

"You have no idea" you grinned at him, "and I'm just kidding, Tommy" you allowed your arms to fall back down and the boy let out a small chuckle as his shoulders seemed to relax. "We're not just gonna stand here, right?" He asked and started to walk towards the small forest, you followed him until you catched up and walked next to him. For some time the two of you remained silent and observed the other Gladers at work. It was late morning, so everyone, who didn't have a day off, was working at their jobs.

"I thought about becoming a runner" Tommy announced in order to start a conversation, you looked up to him "Alby told me that I would soon try different jobs to see what matches best. I hope that I have a chance at becoming a runner" he continued. "Of course you have a chance!" you encouraged him "You could talk to Minho, maybe your chances would enhance if he knows that you're really interested and not just trying it out because you need to" you suggested, but then thought of Minho, who somehow seemed to be rather skeptical about Thomas, you didn't know why, but somehow Minho doesn't seem to like him very much.

"Do you know what I need to do in order to become a runner?" Thomas asked, he really seemed to be determined. "I don't know everything, but what I've noticed from Minho and Hank is that it's really demanding," you started "I think you need to run every three days at least? But I'm not so sure about that, because Hank always seems to be in the Glade and Minho always seems to be in the maze. I think they just alternate with running" you guessed "but I think it would be better if you ask them yourself.".

Tommy nodded and seemed to think about your words for a few seconds. 

"What do you think about the new girl?" you casually asked, while you now entered the forest

"What do you think about the new girl?" you casually asked, while you now entered the forest. The sun threw cones of light on the leaf covered ground and the shadows seemed to dance around the trees. Somehow no birds were singing today and other than your footsteps the forest was totally quiet. The whole twilight send shivers down your spine. So much for taking your mind off things. You just jumped right back onto your thought-carousel again.