chapter twenty-five | 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒅𝒐𝒐𝒓𝒔

The familiar scent of herbs filled your nose as you worked in the Med-hut. The girl, who laid on one of the two beds, still hasn't woken up. Sometimes she would mumble some things, but nothing was really audible. You also didn't know how you should help her, so you just made sure she was still breathing now and then. The dirt which had been covering her face was cleaned by you some days ago, but other than that there was nothing you could do for her. You sighed after you checked her pulse, it still was pretty slow, but that wasn't surprising.

You turned away from her and began to check your stock of herbs and medication. You noticed that your stock of antipyretic was nearly empty. You furrowed the brows, the box should have already came up. You turned your head to look at the girl who was breathing calmly, her dark hair framing her face perfectly - she looked like a doll. However, you wondered if there was a connection between her arrival and the box not coming up again. You chewed on your lip. No box means no supplies and even though the Glade was able to provide itself with the vegetables and fruits grown in the gardens and the animals which also lived in the Glade, it wouldn't last longer than a few weeks.

Running your fingers through your h/c hair, you turned back to the cabinet. Maybe the box was just a little bit late? Errors can appear, no matter how good the system was. That might be the reason after all - an error. Nothing more and nothing less, maybe the girl was also an error? But what if you had been the error all along? After all, you were the first girl to enter the maze. You felt how your head started to spin and you took a few breaths. These were things you couldn't control, so there was no use to worry.

Suddenly you heard someone enter the hut. You turned around and were more than thankful to see Hank standing in the doorway, having a cracked smile on his lips. You haven't seen him since Ben's banishment and concluding from this you also haven't talked to him properly. Seeing him now made you somehow feel more calm. His brown locks and eyes that gleamed full of loyalty reminded you of a field spaniel, a dog breed you somehow remembered. His typical scent of dirt and cinnamon started to slowly fill the room and you couldn't help but smile.

"Hasn't our sleeping beauty still woken up?" He asked as he crossed his arms in front of his chest and nodded with his chin towards the girl. You shook your head and leaned against the cabinet, also crossing your arms "Unfortunately no. I don't know what to do, as long as she's in a coma I'm not able to wake her" you explained and your voice sounded more worried and exhausted than you intended to. "There must be a way to wake her up" Hank stated, but you just shrugged with your shoulders "If you have any ideas, the stage is yours".

A look of determination flashed over your best friend's face as he made his way towards the bed. He squatted in front of the girl and eyed her carefully. You stood on your tiptoes to see what Hank was doing. He lifted his hand and... poked her in the cheek. "Hey. You. Wake up." he demanded in a monotone voice and continued poking her. Hank's dry sense of humor caused you to chuckle. "I'm not too sure if this will wake her up" you chuckled and the boy stood up straight "It was worth a try". You smiled and shook your head "You're surely not a Med-jack".

"And with your chicken legs, you're surely not a runner" he grinned and showed you his tongue. "Hey!" you exclaimed, grabbed the nearest item and threw it at him. Hank, however, dodged the flying washing cloth and it landed on the girl's face. You put your hand over your mouth as you gasped and hurried to the girl to take the washing cloth off her face. Hank just laughed "Should I tell Clint how you treat your patients?", you now also slightly started to laugh "You wouldn't dare!". "You don't wanna test me, Sweetheart" Hank provoked, but you just rolled your eyes.

But as you locked eyes with him, the grin he held on his lips didn't seem so genuine anymore. Your own smile vanished slowly and you looked at him confused. "Is everything okay?" you asked and something twitched in the boy's face as if he got caught. "Sure, everythings fine." he said as he continued to grin, but becoming more and more uncertain with every second you eyed him. You put the washing cloth back on the cabinet, but didn't turn away from him. "I'm not sure whether I want to believe you" you claimed and furrowed your brows a little bit.