chapter eight | 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒂 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒆

A few clouds blocked the sun on this mild afternoon. You've finished early today with your job as a Med-jack, as there was not a lot of work to do. Newt was helping Leo in the gardens, Gally was working on the watchtower as the wood began to rot and Minho was running in the maze with a boy called Ben, a tall boy with blond hair and wide eyes, who does not seem to like you a lot. He is one of the Gladers who think that it is a bad sign to have a girl up in the Glade.

As for Minho, he tended to go a lot more into the maze than usual. At first you thought that it was just your perception, but Newt and even Hank kept asking themselves why he decided to run into the maze at least every other day. You tried to talk to him, but as usual he just made some stupid jokes about how he could understand why you miss him that much - you did not laugh, rather you were concerned. But for now you tried to let go of these worries and kept telling yourself that Minho knows what is good for him.

You were walking around the Glade with Hank. A warm breeze blew through your hair and caused the blades of grass to sway in the wind. The ivy, which meandered on the tall walls of the Glade were as dark green as ever and a few leaves were falling down the huge trees. The leaves which were falling down, were still lush green and seemed to dance with the wind, before they laid themselves down to die. Hank has told you that the seasons do not change in the Glade, everything seemed like an endless vicious cycle. (I'm not sure if the seasons change in the Glade as I haven't found any information about it... but let's just go with the thought that they don't :))

While you were still thinking about Minho, Hank and you were heading towards the meadow which held the animals. You were able to see some sheeps and goats already from the distance and could hear the snorting of the pigs. Hank philosophized whether animals knew that they were kept in the Glade or if they simply didn't care. You only listened half-heartedly and sat down crossed leg on the grass, after checking if there was any 'klunk' underneath you and soon after Hank did the same.

A little lamb let itself fall back and sniffed curious on your hair, "It seems like it likes your hair too! Remember, it's my favourite colour" Hank smirked and you only rolled with your eyes "That was not any better than the last time, Hank" you chuckled and slowly began to pet the lamb carefully, "You really think so? What if more girls are coming into the Glade and I'm not prepared?!" Hank asked overdramatically, "I'm pretty sure they would like you" you smiled, to be honest you really wished for another girl to come up into the Glade, she could be like your little sister and maybe you would feel less out of place.

The little lamb now gained enough trust towards you to lay down on your lap. "You know, Minho would have just told me that nobody would talk to me with that face" Hank stated while pointing at his face while doing a silly expression, "No, they would totally talk to you. Hank, you look really good! I'm a girl, I know what I'm talking about" you petted the head of the little lamb and while talking to Hank you thought about a name for it. "So you think I'm handsome,?" Hank asked, his voice and eyes filled with hope but also an teasing undertone, "Well, yeah... why not?" you were unsettled by his teasing voice, but couldn't deny that Hank was indeed handsome "Ha! I knew it. I knew that I would be handsome" Hank said with a proud voice and let his fingers run through his thick, dark brown hair.

First you were about to say something about his arrogant behaviour but then you realized that Hank had never seen himself, neither had Newt, Minho, Leo, Jeff nor any other Glader... neither had you. Nobody had ever seen themselves and you admitted that it must be a great acknowledgment if someone calls you handsome or good looking. Maybe Hank was too scared to ask the other Gladers after their opinion? Or maybe he already got described how he looked and only needed someone to tell him if he looked good? No matter why he asked, you were pleased to see Hank that happy and confident. You looked down to the head of the lamb and smiled to yourself. Are you pretty? First you thought about asking Hank, but you decided to let him have his moment of triumph.