26. Big Day

Ever

     I knew that Chase was waiting here at the apartment for me. He had told me ahead of time that he would be here because he had a surprise for me. 

     The fact that he seemed to be planning to spend the whole day with me was amazing. Quality time with Chase just seemed like it would be perfect right now. 

     "You're a dream, Chase." 

     I watched him rub the back of his neck and give me a nervous smile. 

     "You're even better, Ever." He took a deep breath, and walked towards me. "You look so beautiful, even with swollen ankles." 

     "You're such a charmer." I put as much exaggerated flirt into the statement that I could, and then I got serious and bit my lip. "I love you. Like...a lot." 

      I never got tired of seeing Chase get flustered and blush a little, it was adorable. 

     "I'm always very happy to hear that, Ev. You know that I'm so in love with you that I would marry you right now if you would let me."

     He looked like he was hoping that I would let him take my hand and drag me to the nearest courthouse to marry me, but I wasn't there, yet. I was ready for a small step, though. 

     "I want you to be with me again. Will you be my birthday present?" I twirled the end of my hair around my finger, and fluttered my eyelashes at him. 

     "Are you asking me out, Ever Weston?" I nodded, and crossed my arms over my oversized stomach to try to act nonchalant about it. 

      "I have been hoping for this moment for months now, and here you are...wanting me back. Nothing would make me happier, Ev. I swear, I'll do so much better this time."

      "Nothing would make you happier, really? Not even if the babies came right now?" 

     "Okay, maybe that would have..." Chase gave me a sheepish shrug. "I really can't wait to meet them."

     He started eyeing me like I knew something he didn't, so I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. 

     "Sorry to burst your bubble, but they aren't coming right this second. I would love to get them out of  me, but they aren't ready yet."

     I looked down and rubbed my hand over my stomach a few times until the kicking started, and I smiled. Even though they kicked hard, I loved feeling it. 

     "You should go take a nice bath, okay? Then, we can cuddle up in bed and watch a movie and eat some cake. You deserve to relax." 

     I looked up at Chase and nodded. It made sense, but I wasn't ready to break the moment and stop talking. 

     "When are you going to be moving your things in?" His face got instantly red, and he looked like he was going to be sick. It made me nervous, and I didn't like it. 

     "Well...about that." He took a breath, and I took the opportunity to do the same. "This might be a bad way to bring this up, even though we just made this official...did you still want me in a different room?" 

     "No...I would want you with me..." I let my sentence trail off, because he was acting so weird. I wondered if he had been with someone else recently and was going to tell me before he felt okay with staying in the same bedroom as me. "I sleep much better with you, I always have."